If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway Reconnection Funding Deadline Extended Again

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by nigelss, Apr 29, 2010.

1. nigelss

nigelss Member

I see from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/england/8651222.stm that the funding deadline has been extended by another three months.

Labour candidate Jim Knight says he has "some confidence of getting the funding through the county council, possibly in conjunction with Swanage Town Council..."

Liberal Democrat candidate Ros Kayes says "I spoke to one of the county councillors in Swanage about it and he was very positive about the fact the money is going to be forthcoming."

Conservative candidate Richard Drax says "...as far as I know, no business plan has been submitted by the railway, and councils are strictly governed as to how they lend money. This is very disingenuous of the Labour candidate, Mr Knight, who I know has been told on more than one occasion by the leader of the county council, Angus Campbell, that it is not in his gift to promote the funding and the upgrade."

(Please see the original article for the full quotes in context)

Is it correct that there is no business plan to support the upgrade proposal, and if so, why isn't someone burning some midnight oil to prepare one? Notwithstanding the conflicting opinions quoted above the implication is no business plan, no chance of funding. It would be such a shame if the project were to fail for a comparatively small amount of funding.

I am also puzzled why Network Rail want external funding to do the work for this project but do not appear to be asking for external funding to include provision of a reconnection at Honeybourne for the GWSR. Do please put me right on this if I'm wrong!

Cheers,
    Nigel

2. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

As far as im aware NR are only providing passive provision at Honeybourne as part of the work they are doing anyway, so it should have little effect on the overall cost. Resignalling on the other hand is a very different, and expensive, matter.

Chris

3. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    If a business plan has already been produced, then surely it should have entered the public domain for scrutiny by potential investors/sponsors by now? As an outside but interested observer, I am increasingly under the impression that the decision by Network Rail to upgrade signaling in the area by 2012 has somewhat wrong-footed a lot of interested parties who were probably not expecting this announcement so soon after the arrival first passenger services from the national network. However, I must admit that I think its a bit far-fetched for an MP to expect a County Council and a Town Council to contribute a large proportion of the funding when it is also something of regional consequence, and therefore requires regional funding. However, I hope a business plan is drawn up soon, and I look forward to a positive outcome by catching a train to Swanage from Wareham once the link at Worgret is consolidated; I would also donate a bit of cash if an appeal is set up, as being a Southern fanatic, the Swanage has been one of my favourite railways since my first visit in 2001.

4. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

It's a shame that Richard Drax is ill-informed about the Swanage Railway's mainline aspirations.
    A Quango called "Purbeck Rail Partnership" is the body co-ordinating efforts to provide a regular service between the National Network and Swanage.
    PRP is an alliance between; Swanage Railway, Dorset County Council, Purbeck District Council, Borough of Poole Council, Bournemouth Borough Council, BP, Dept for Transport Rail Group, South West Regional Development Agency, Network Rail and South West Trains.

5. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It is worth remembering that the service which the inclusion ibn re-signalling will make possible is very much a County Council project, and that the County Council are the Swanage's landlords. Hence, I would not expect the Railway to be submitting a business plan to those effectively proposing the scheme! About par for the course on depth of knowledge from candidates in this election, mind you!

Steven

6. nigelss

nigelss Member

I found a report dated 2nd March 2010 - see http://www.purbeck.gov.uk/pdf/OSG 020310 REVIEW OF DECISIONS MADE BY THE COUNCIL.pdf - which reviews council funding decisions. It makes it very clear under "Swanage Railway Reconnection - Use Of Unapproved Capital Budget" that no further funding will be provided until there is an up-to-date business case.

To quote, "no further money be granted until an acceptable and up-to-date Business Plan is produced."

The report is dated 2nd March 2010 (although the actual spending decision taken to allocate £100,000 dates back to 8th December 2009). The reference to a lack of a current business case looks rather worrying to me. Does anyone know if one is in production?

7. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The BBC report is factually incorrect in a number of areas; I understand that a representative of the railway tried to contact the BBC following publication of the story but no call has been returned at this stage. In addition, please note the report you have attached above is from Purbeck District Council, and there are a number of other bodies involved (including the County Council who the parliamentary candidates are primarily referring to).

As has been stated, the project is being promoted by the Purbeck Rail Partnership and therefore the onus is not on the SR to prepare a business case. There have in fact been a number of business plans prepared and submitted over the years, something which has also been missed by Mr Drax.

Regards

Nick

8. nigelss

nigelss Member

Just spotted that there is an update from the Chairman of the Swanage Railway Trust dated 1st May 2010.
    chairman's statement

9. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

I have a sneaky feeling (I'm typing this in the morning) that the new coalition may see a Lib Dem Transport Minister. If my hunch is correct that would be better news for any project promoting more public transport including this one. Of course by 1pm today I may be feeling silly but hey ho.

10. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Ah so it's Philip Hammond then
    (stands up, bows, breaks egg on head)

11. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Anyone on here from the Runnymede and Weybridge constituency know what his views are on Railways generally?

12. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

What we know about the new government, railways, and railway politics in general.

- their coalition agreement commits to High Speed Rail as a strategic leap for transport in the UK; this is reinforced by the rejection of Heathrow runway 3, as they have to reduce demand for domestic flights somehow.
    - otherwise, transport is not ring fenced, even the schedule for Crossrail is not invulnerable
    - over the lifetime of this parliament, cuts of about 20% will have to be found in all departments except health and possibly education
    - the choice between investment in road and rail is tipping towards a more even balance, i.e. a tendency in rail's favour, as a greener option

So I'd guess that a case could be made for better public transport infrastructure on Purbeck based on a re-opened rail link to Wareham, but that long list of local and regional agencies favouring the scheme need to get a single lobbying team to speak as one voice and to work very hard. Three to four imminent years of impecuniousness (great word!) don't sit well with the need to commit money for the junction asap.

And if they succeed?
    It would of course change the character of the Swanage line. Scheduled DMU services would be the first paths allocated, and only then could they think about the leisure trains. Could the SR handle the extra operating and back-office responsibility? Dunno. Would they need to upgrade for 40/50 mph running? Dunno. Would there be enough passing loops? I think so if they made one more up near the main line junction. Would they need more park-and-rides at Harmans Cross and/or Swanage for commuters (to Bournemouth and the Solent towns as well as London) ? Surely yes.

13. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Speaking as someone just outside the 'inside', I suspect there will be a leaning towards rail transport in this Parliament