If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Diesel Gala - 12 to 14 May 2023

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by buzby2, Oct 19, 2022.

1. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Seen on WNXX Forum that next year's Swanage Railway Diesel Gala has had to be moved one week so it does not clash with the Coronation of HM King Charles III. So, make a diary note if you are interested.
    No mention of a Beer Festival at Corfe Castle Station yet but I should think one might well be arranged assuming finance is forthcoming.
    Further details as and when announced.

2. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for the heads up. I have let my mates who have an interest with the Swanage Diesel Gala known to enable them to book their B&Bs.

3. gz3xzf

gz3xzf Member

Retired
    Just over a month away now, visitors so far announced are: -
    Class 47 D1645
    Class 45 45108
    Class 40 D345
    Class 17 D8568
    Locals:
    Class 33 D6515
    Class 33 33111
    Possible guest appearance from
    Class 08 08436
    Looking forward to it. :)

4. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Announcements are made here: https://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/events/view/diesel-gala as well as on the Railway's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/swanagerailway
    A three train service will be in operation with two trains operating over the full length of the line, between Swanage and Bridge 4 River Frome, and a shuttle in operation between Swanage and Corfe Castle.
    Timetable details for Thursday 11th May (preview day) and evening services will be announced soon apparently.
    There will be a Beer Festival in Corfe Castle Station yard sponsored by Purbeck Kitchens I believe.
    Swanage Station is intended to host several trade stands and, subject to confirmation, a BBQ.
    Advanced tickets for the Gala will be available to purchase imminently it seems.

5. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Two rail tours announced by the Branch Line Society: https://www.national-preservation.c...ompton-11th-and-return-14th-may-2023.1422124/
    On Thursday 11th May D6515 brings the LU 4TC from Eastleigh, via a round about route, to Swanage where it will be used as an air brake rake during the Diesel Gala.
    On Sunday 14th May D6515 and two GBRf 73s share duties getting passengers back and returning the 4TC to Eastleigh.

6. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    So on the 11th quite a few pick up points (but no Waterloo)
    "D 6515 from Eastleigh P3 (Dep 11.12) - Fareham - Havant P2 - Haslemere P3 - Guildford P8 (pick up 12.42) - Wokingham - Reading P14 (pick up 13.22) - Down Feeder Relief - Basingstoke P4 (pick up 13.58) - Wallers Ash Down Passenger Loop - Eastleigh - Southampton Central P4 (pick up 15.07) - Up Fast - Church Lane Junction - Down Fast - Up Fast - Brockenhurst P1 (photo stop) - Bournemouth P4 (photo stop) - Poole P2 – Wareham [pick up token] - Norden - Swanage (arrive 18:41)."

Although the emphasis will be on the main diesel locos, last year at the MHR gala 33111 worked push pull with the LU 4TC, so guess it do will again at the Swanage gala, maybe up to the the River Frome bridge as 33111 is not mainline approved? Also adding adding some maroon colour to the normally green carriage stock. (edit although there is the "blood and custard" dining set, but under overhaul).

From the SR website https://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/events/view/diesel-gala seems no Wareham DMU service on Saturday, it might be possible to run mainline approved D 6515 with the LU 4TC top and tailed with another mainline approved diesel loco into Wareham to link with SWR trains, but be difficult with the intense gala timetable running up to the River Frome?.

I notice on Friday's rather wet webcam looks like the Swanage 4TC group has been able to finally get a blue/grey carriage shunted by 33111 to the station, maybe to get it ready to show at the diesel gala with the 2 other blue/grey carriages as a Swanage "3TC" alongside the maroon LU 4TC?

Attached Files:

• 33a.png
      33a.png
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  7. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Believe the two GBRf Class 73s are intended to be used as a coupled pair so I would have thought it quite likely that they (and 33111 of course) will be taking their turn in push-pull 4TC operations to/from the River Frome bridge.
    Incidentally, the dining set is not 'under overhaul' - it is currently just stored. Granted it needs overhauling but it also now needs vandalism damage repaired as well - so nothing can be done I suspect until the insurers/loss adjusters have carried out inspections, etc.
    The Diesel Gala timetable is normally so intense that no 'spare' paths are available between Norden and Worgret Junction. I think it safe to say there will be nothing running to/from Wareham over all three days - apart from the returning rail tour near the end of Sunday's proceedings.
    Not sure what refurbishment stage the TC vehicles have reached nor what the 4TC group intend to do for them during this Gala.
    I do not believe there is any available platform space on the Swanage Railway to just display them for the public to look over.
    One vehicle was displayed alongside Corfe Castle cattle dock some years ago but that idea's currently a non-starter with the buffet coach now situated there and the Beer Festival marquee being located next to it.
    Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

8. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    The Gala timetable will need to fit with the booked DMU service though

9. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

10. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Thanks, guess it will also be hard to fit in a dining train with the gala, but not having the dining set working could mean less income for the railway?

11. Andy Moody

Andy Moody Member

Retired
  12. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
  13. Andy Moody

Andy Moody Member

Retired
    So, what's wrong with the Bus service from Wareham then?

You can either have an hourly Gala service to Frome River bridge or the Wareham Swanage DMMU service but not both, I think this has already been explained before.
    I think there is also weekend engineering work in the Eastleigh area over the weekend, certainly on the Sunday because the Railtour with the LT 4TC terminates at Southampton, so it might be a good idea to visit on the Friday.

Brockenman likes this.
  14. Brockenman

Brockenman New Member

What a shame,with another superb line up of locos,a new cl40 to the line and the first visit of the Clayton which is a lovely loco,had some superb runs behind it at Minehead last year,oh well your loss.

15. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Not really, I’ve never been to a diesel gala that’s involved a ‘fine dining’ experience being marketed towards those attending the event.
    Diesel Cranks tend to be more than happy with things like Fish and Chips, curry or pie and peas.
    It really is a different market to a steam gala

16. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    Nothing wrong with the bus as we often use it but I also wanted to do the shuttle. Also we don’t often do diesel Galas and wanted an easier journey. Never mind we are staying in Corfe next week so can do the shuttle

17. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

The mainline certified LT 4TC with mainline certified locomotives (rather than the DMU, as the 4TC did in 2017) and a WCR crew could run the extra mile to Wareham (rather than the Frome bridge) on say just one Saturday 13th May trip in morning, and one in the afternoon, as a special for people planning to come by SWR, rather than have to get the bus?
    But as you say for those coming further than Southampton by SWR the engineering work and SWR replacement bus at Eastleigh will mess up mainline travelling times.
    https://m.nationalrail.co.uk/pj/disruption/details/CACDBFD1CBFC4A5BB2286301A3154F41

The return railtour of the LU 4TC, 33 and 73s on the Sunday will get passengers back to Southampton, Basingstoke, Woking and Waterloo as it diverts via Andover which is clear.
    It looks like just the very last section of the loop back to Eastleigh at 10:22PM affected, but the train will most probably be empty by then?
    https://www.branchline.uk/current-fixtures.php

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  18. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

As has been mentioned up thread - the complexity of the Diesel Gala timetable is such that there is no spare capacity for any service to/from Wareham however you might wish for it.
    Even if it could be fitted in and WCRC could find crew at this short notice, then the cost of hiring a WCRC Driver and Guard for one morning and one afternoon trip would make that day's service something of a financial basket case.
    The over-riding factor in all this is, however, the lack of suitable paths ....... end of I'm afraid.

Andy Moody likes this.
  19. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

And before anyone comments that the Wareham service is running on Thursday 11th May (Gala Preview Day).
    Heritage (mixed diesel and steam) services are planned to run between Swanage and Norden only - so the single line section between Norden and Worgret Junction will be unused except by the DMU.

20. Andy Moody

Andy Moody Member

Retired
    Lifted from the WNXX site,

"Evening services

33111 and 4TC(Push and Pull) Friday
    40145 Saturday
    Friday evening will see Swanage resident Class 33/1 No. 33111 in Push/Pull operation with the London Underground 4TC. On Saturday night, visiting Class 40 D345 (40145) will be in service. Both evenings will see 4 departures from Swanage running to Norden and return, with the last train arriving into Swanage at 23:20."
    Also a lot of froth about class 50's attending from Eastleigh Works. But nothing official so far. No doubt a Timetable and Loco list will be issued in due course.