If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steamport Southport 1974 - 75

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Ploughman, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    First apologies for the quality of the photos but it was a 1970s Kodak Instamatic, my excuse anyway and they have been kicking around in my garage for the last 20 years.

The Crane shot is not Southport but at St Helens loading rails for use at Steamport and the crane once it had finished loading, its next job was to unload and relay the same rail at Steamport.
    Is the crane still around?

Thomas Smith 5t X63486 UGB Peasley Bridge St Helens Jan 1974.JPG

For a while Black Five 44806 was resident at Steamport and on a few occasions was in steam.
    44806 Southport 1975.JPG

On 25th July 1974 Derek Fosters purchase from Barry was loaded ready for its move to Steamport and a few days later 76079 was to make the same journey.
    42765 was at one time the 3rd loco that was being sought for Southport but our efforts were not successful but the loco still ended up in the North West.
    We might have done better if our slogan had been better. " Help us to catch a Crab"
    47298 Barry 25-7-74.JPG
    76079 Barry 25-7-74.JPG

This was the site at Steamport from the footbridge at Windsor rd.
    Manchester / Wigan lines to the left, Derby Rd yard to the right with withdrawn Merseyrail EMU stock awaiting scrapping on site. Steamport central with the multicoloured shed doors and the crane in the process of track relaying.
    SOuthport.JPG
    A shot of some of the locos some of which are now at Ribble Railway Preston.
    Samantha, Lucy LLPG, Efficient LLPG, Peckett 5 and NWGB Peckett 1999.

A certain resident of the IOM named Ray may recognise the figure in the foreground.
    Southport 1975.JPG

2. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting them Bryan - very nostalgic. That might even be me at the bottom of the last picture - happy days. Best wishes, Ray.

3. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    There is no might about it.
    It was you.
    I have also got Tom Bell somewhere.