If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

steam locomotive 'Newcastle'

Discussion in 'Heritage Railway' started by buddaboy, Jan 24, 2009.

1. buddaboy

buddaboy New Member

i read in my last recieved issue 119 in the article on themed events for Colonel Stephens railways about trying to get the tank engine 'Newcastle' to any such event. having read an article many years ago about the man who saved it and living in australia, i was wondering if any body could fill me in on its where abouts and recent history or movements. i dont wish to tread on anyone toes asking for private information, just i brief summation on it today. it always intrigued me with its open cab. many thanks in advance.

2. CityOfLeeds

CityOfLeeds New Member

Last I heard, this engine is located on a private site near Heydon (which is a small village near Royston, Hertfordshire). Frustratingly I happen to live very close by, but have never seen it, don't know where it is stored, and only became aware of it a couple of years ago from a Steam Railway industrial loco survey. Sorry I can't help any more!

3. ovbulleid

ovbulleid Member

i sit behind my computer clicking on 'view active
    i tried looking this engine up on the internet. is it this one? http://prints.leics.gov.uk/pictures_670 ... ASTLE.html
    i never read the article in heritage railway. the 2 big questions about a stephens themed gala are 1) who would be brave enough to paint a terrier in the liveries of the edgehill light railway, shropshire and montgomeryshire railway, weston cleveland and portishead railway, or several of the others they were contracted to (another possibility is repatriating waddon from canada as it was used on the east kent railway) or 2) steaming gazelle, quite possibly the most useless yet most amazing engine preserved in the UK.

4. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    No I don't believe that is the right Newcastle, I'm sure it's inside cylindered, but happy to be proved wrong...

5. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Newcastle is an inside cylindered Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST not unlike Sir B with a half cab, but this one with a stovepipe chimney. It is the only survivor of its class of Manning (H? K? Can't remember). Back in the early days of Steam Railway there was a Geoff Silcock feature on it and its railway, very atmospheric and influential on me - I've liked industrials ever since.

6. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's a Manning Wardle 'Special M' class with 13" cylinders. I've no idea what was special about it, though!

7. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Well, I was close! Thanks Steve! \:D/

8. Vulcan

Vulcan New Member

I'm fairly certain that would be issue No 6. I think it even appeared on the front cover.

9. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

EXCUSE ME!

It's Clevedon buddy, Cleveland's a long way away.

It's pretty obvious I live in 'The Don' ;)