If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Dreams says farewell to DBS ?

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by hatherton hall, Sep 21, 2013.

1. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

If Dave's UK Steam website is to be believed - and I have no doubt it is true - all DBS Steam Dreams work has now been transferred to West Coast!

What ever the reason for this, my immediate sympathy is for the dedicated DBS drivers and firemen who will now find themselves with no mainline steam work - except possibly the VSOE.

Those stalwarts of Hither Green, Crewe and Barton Hill have been let down. Their enthusiasm on trains like the Torbay Express has been a joy to behold - blasting whistles, always a waive to the linesiders and always a friendly word from the footplate.

A sad day indeed!

Nick

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    But if the TE stays with DBS, then the Barton Hill crews will still get to work steam next season - or have TE quite DBS as well? Also what about Pathfinder and UKRailtours? OK so they don't do many steam runs but are they exclusively WCRC customers when they do?

3. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

Not news, has been in the public domain and discussed on this forum already.

It is though interesting to note how little appreciation there is of which TOC is used for what by whom. The glossy magazines and websites are good at listing which promoter is advertising what and possible locomotives. Few if any list the TOC and rolling stock provider.

It should also be remembered that 'personality clashes' have a part to play in who uses who.

Somehow though, I just can't see everyone deserting DBS. Clearly DBS are very good at the repeat itinerary type trains planned well in advance such as most TBE and OHE operations.

Their is also the DBS/Riviera Trains Rail Charter Partnership to consider as well. When have you seen a WCRCo operated train use Riviera Trains stock and conversely a DBS operated train use WCRCo stock?

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I wonder if DCR will take over from DBS as the no 2 steam operator ?

5. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
  6. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    The loss of DBS to the SD work is to be regretted. Obviously there were issues to do with the company's ability to provide steam crews, or at least have sufficient steam crews to give them flexibility in their deployment. Clearly a situation where, for example only one person had route knowledge of the southern end of the ECML - and he has now retired - was an unsustainable situation. So I assume that the move away from them was an "eyes wide open" decision by SD based on the need to sustain their business.

What will be lost, in my view, will be the professional approach of all those on the footplate of which the presence of a traction inspector has been a benefit. You only have to look at the quality of the people involved to appreciate that. The Trade Union dimension was a problem but, on the other hand, this element did provide a measure of safeguarding for the enginemen but also the operation of the locomotives. Although I don't speak on behalf of the MNLPS, I know that they have found it very helpful to work regularly with crews who know their engine well. I recall it reported that the Earley incident led subsequently to an enhanced relationship between DBS and the MNLPS about loco operating procedures. All that has to be good.

So whilst noting the understandable criticism posted on this Forum about DBS, I see their reduced steam activity as a loss. More to the point, and unless things change, how will we now get Clan Line on anything other than OE work? And when will Tornado be seen as 'fit' for West Coast people to operate? Let's not forget that these are two of only a small number of 8P locomotives that prop up the steam charter business.

rule55 and steamvideosnet like this.
  8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Never been a problem with the DBS crews on the ground so to speak, it's been those in office positions above them that have alienated DBS from their customers.

Lets be blunt, DBS's main failing is deciding they can't resource trains at less than 48 hours notice, WCRC are not perfect, but they rarely if ever pull that stunt.

9. david1984

Think that's a bit of an insult to plenty of WCRC crews, try a trip with the like of Ray Churchill or Ray Poole in the seat, and you will see they are masters of the art of driving mainline steam.

As for DCR, as mentioned by others above, I suspect they will be looking to keep a low profile for a while, they are (rightly) being shot at from all corners currently.

10. Big Al

David. I've had the privilege of many runs with RC and RP to know what you mean. I was simply talking about what we will lose in DBS with people like Wayne Thompson not being available to us any more. And thinking ahead to the prestige SD Atlantic Coast Express in a year, that's how long SD/WCR has to persuade the MNLPS to get the right locomotive at the head of the train out of Waterloo. Sorry, but Braunton and definitely Tangmere just won't be good enough in this instance.

spindizzy likes this.
  11. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

And SD very much need to deliver on what we are paying for with that trip. I think we need Messers Thompson and Clarke to do some moonlighting with WC!

12. david1984

Fair enough then Al, the wording wasn't too clear on that point.

As far as I'm aware, WCRC and the 35028 mob would be willing to work with each other if/when required, just the VSOE makes up the majority of Clan Lines work, more circumstances mean DBS use it 99% of the time than anything else I suspect.

What's happening with 35027 anyway ?, that's gone quiet lately with regards another mainline MN anytime soon.

13. hatherton hall

Sorry. Yes, I overlooked the Torbay Express trains and there will be others including the VSOE which will provide steam duties. That said, when you look at the annual programme of Steam Dreams tours culminating in those joyous Christmas Carol Service specials, there is very little doubt that the DBS crews will be absolutely gutted. I haven't got the calculator out yet, but I suspect that based on this year's programme they would have stood loose 60% of their work.

The other thing that the Steam Dreams tours bring, and this cannot be matched by the regular Torbay Express programme, is the variety on offer. It won't take long for DBS drivers to get just a little bit tired of those runs along the sea wall at Dawlish - we can all have a little too much of a good thing, alas.

Nick

14. Big Al

And sadly, I think you'll find that Hither Green/Eastleigh DBS crews just don't know the road. So as I said earlier, people like Fred Lewis may be happy but Wayne Thompson won't be!

15. hatherton hall

Indeed not, Big Al. I would love to have a penny for Wayne's thoughts just now! And even Fred won't be jumping through hoops at this news, more likely jumping off a bridge somewhere in Newport! What is essential is the West Coast now sort out the issues with Tornado. Already, all of 60163's tours for the rest of the year have been cancelled - just check out Dave's UK Steam and 60163 has been replaced with TBA in all cases. This is a tragedy for the A1 trust.

Just sort it out West Coast for goodness sake. It is a brand new steam locomotive for God's sake. There can be no safety issues; it has run dozens of mainline tours!

Nick

16. Big Al

Indeed so, but the equally sad news for everyone here is that the DBS/SD issue looks as though it may strengthen West Coast's grip of the steam charter market. I get the distinct impression that WCR is "its own man" so to speak. And that's quite right and proper given the work they do and what they have achieved. Good luck to them. On the other hand, they are not perfect and we have suffered this summer because of the behaviour of one or two locomotives that they operate. This is an example of where lively competition would be healthy.

Oh for the possibility that Locomotive Services Ltd could expand its operations to include ownership of its own fleet of decent spec. carriages we could enjoy travelling in, for example.

17. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Nick, I think that's a little harsh to pin the total blame on West Coast. Please remember the A1 Trust used a contractor that wasn't covered or approved by WC's safety case. They have guidelines in place that all other loco owning groups follow so why should the A1 Trust be any different?

I for one certainly hope Tornado will run under West Coast, it's a cracking machine having experienced it first hand but this situation needs both parties to meet in the middle, not just one!

18. david1984

I woulden't panic, I'd be surprised if the A1 group don't look to patch things up with and work with WCRC, the simple economic fact is they will struggle to get enough work now if they don't.

19. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

When is Clan Line due her next heavy overhaul ?

I can imagine Tornado being used to cover some if not all of the British Pullman work in her absence ?

20. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    Overhaul completed in 2006 I believe. But I think I read somewhere that the MNLPS' intention is to keep her running as long as they can get an extension to her mainline ticket, by which time Tornado may be withdrawn for her first overhaul (unless the A1ST adopt the same strategy, but I don't think that's their intention).

But it's maybe worth making another thread to discuss what will take on the VSOE work when 35028 is withdrawn? Will one loco be able to take on the majority of it, or will it be a number of locos as per when 35028 was hors de combat after her injector problems?