If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Ban due to fire risk (updates)

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by neildimmer, Jul 12, 2013.

1. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Rather than the thread 'Railtour operators can die in the summer' why not have a straightforward thread title
    So here you go, update whenever anybody knows anything

Neil

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So according to the Railway Herald, forthcoming West Coast operations can run with a diesel inside the steam locomotive till it rains. That's better than might have been the case and so I think we should be grateful to Network Rail for that. The majority of the paying public will also probably be happy. Let's hope that the tour operators are now sympathetic towards anyone who decides that this arrangement is not what they want and would prefer a refund.

As for the Tyne /Tees Streak, this is a more interesting one. The trip is about the opportunity to travel at up to 90 mph - little else. I suspect that a far greater number of paying passengers will be on this and expecting it to be an unassisted run. Not too certain that pushing Bittern up to around 90 and then letting it sustain that speed is quite what people want. Apart from the climb up to Relly Mill Junction on the return, most of the route is fairly benign gradient-wise. But it would be a big 'ask' to let this be the exception to the steam ban even though that's actually what's needed....or a straight cancellation and we wait to see whether things are any better for the run back from York.

3. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

4. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

From Clan Line Twitter feed:

"Clan Line is ready for the 20/7 trip subject to FTR but we may have to run with 67 inside as a result of the steam ban that currently exists"

5. D1002

Pathfinder have now confirmed that The Tyne-Tees Streak has been postponed.

6. RHM

RHM Member

Official word from Pathfinder - Pathfinder Tours has confirmed that their 'Tyne-Tees Streak' booked for Friday, 19th July, as been postponed. Due to the line side conditions is not possible to operate the train without the inclusion of a diesel in the consist to assist where and when deemed necessary.
    A new date will be advised in due course. Pathfinder has written to all passengers advising them of the situation.

7. D1002

The Capital Streak has also been postponed, as Bittern will remain at York until The Tyne-Tees Streak has been successfully run.

8. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Why have NR insisted that the additional motive power go 'inside' the kettle? Because communication is easier between the two motive power crews? Means that some tours will need two diesels (those from London termini for example)

9. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

I believe that on Network Rail, assistance in the rear is only permitted in certain areas and with specific authorisation where the rear motive power has a separate driver (i.e not worked "in multiple" as effectively HSTs and push/pull sets are). It may be in the circumstances you mention, arrangements can be authorised for the assistance to remain on the back.

Steven

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

The train is just a normal double header. I doubt NR cares whether its the steam or the diesel on the front.

11. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Tell you what, I reckon some firemen are going to be just be a little bit happy at not having to work flat out in this heat. The current forecast for parts of London for mid week next week is 35C.

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I'm sat in the joburg heat right now, its the first time I've been to South Africa in their winter, when its actually been hotter back in the UK.

I've been spotting my B1's today, todate I've seen: 61000/2/6/8/40, also wandering round was several D0260's and some GWR sun class. Also 46144 (you may have to dig hard to figure that one).

13. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Sigh! - Ok let me rephrase that then, why have NR insisted on a double header instead of top and tailing.

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Because two engines on a train providing power should normally be on the front.
    Running on the rear ala HST with 2 crews is actually against the rule book, exceptions apply obviously.

15. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    You are obviously worried about conditions in Burnt Oak, Heat hrow, Sunbury, Sear Green or The Bakerloo line. Where I come from the conditions could be unbearable at Cow Roast near Tring.

16. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

One exception obviously being 34046's loaded test run today. Anybody know why?

17. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

I suspect this benefitted from being neither fish nor fowl so slipped under the radar. There could have been no logically risk free way of carrying out a test run unless it was purely for running at speed, with acceleration provided by the assisting loco. But then the load would have been immaterial so some assessment of adhesion, starting ability and sustained output must form part of the test. All these, along with braking, will determine the ultimate loading potential for the loco when in traffic, surely?

18. RHM

RHM Member

Railway Herald has been told that the last 90 mph operation with No. 4464 Bittern, 'The Capital Streak' from York to Kings Cross on 27th July, has now also been postponed due the line side fire risk restrictions.
    Pathfinder's Peter Watts said the earliest likely date for operating the two workings will now be in the latter half of August. Bittern will remain at the NRM in the meantime.

19. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Reading various articles online, there isn't an end in sight to these conditions. It could get even hotter & even last well into August. The only thing that is happening is that it will move further North.
    All records are set to be broken including 1976.
    Various excuses are being blamed for it including the gulf stream being further North than normal & won't shift.

20. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    The difference is in 1976 it started in May and went through to October which was the first rain and then the wettest on record.