If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Stars Of Sandstone 2013

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Purple Emperor, May 14, 2013.

1. Purple Emperor

Purple Emperor New Member

I was fortunate to spend 8 days(May4th-11th) at this years transport gala at Sandstone in South Africa.
    An extensive 2' gauge system runs over this large farming estate set amidst magnificent scenery. The festival is not just the large collection of railway equipment, there were also numerous traction engines, vintage tractors, buses, lorries, cars and old aircraft which were using the grass airfield which runs alongside the line. The estate also has a large collection of military vehicles which were in frequent use.
    As part of the package all meals are included, and the quality of the food was excellent. A visiting meercat providing additional entertainment at the cafe. There was plenty of other wildlife on view.
    The bar was open all day, so you could grab a beer and jump on the next double-headed garratt departure.

The 2' gauge locomotives that were in use at some time during the festival were as follows

NGG16 153 and 88
    NGG13 49
    NG15 17
    NG6 Lawley 96 and 106
    NG4 Kerr Stuart
    NG1 Barclay
    Peckett 2161
    Fowler Sandy
    Avonside Sezela No3
    Feldbahn
    Kerr Stuart Tamara
    O&K 4102
    O&K 2510
    Arn Jung
    Decauville Bathala
    Kerr Stuart Little Bess

Also Bagnall and Hunslet O-6-O diesels

There are also many unrestored 3' 6' gauge steam engines scattered about and also a shed of 2' gauge engines awaiting their turn for restoration. I only found out about this storage shed after I left so I didn't inspect it, but apparently it contains many gems. So hopefully next time I visit some of these will be in action.

Keith Hall