If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Standard Class 5 Found in Council Office

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by FairlieSquarelie, Aug 11, 2014.

1. FairlieSquarelie

FairlieSquarelie New Member

Losing slowly
    73129 has been rumbled; today's Derby Evening Telegraph reports that 'several councillors' are 'surprised' to learn that DCC owns a Standard.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Der...0-steam-loco/story-22299353-detail/story.html

Expect a committee meeting to recommend a change to hydrogen fuel cells; all-over advertising; sponsored livery chosen by a chain of local estate agents; selling off the bogie because we all have to make sacrifices and downsizing to an 0-3-0 (as engines with an odd number of wheels are under-represented).

Kje7812, Sheff, andalfi1 and 2 others like this.
  2. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

The link's not working, but the paper's front page is quick to quote the loco's alleged value - £350K. We know how politicians' minds work when money is mentioned; might we now see 73129 on the market? No doubt at a premium price :(

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    One thing is for certain and that is the comment in the article about the fact that it's not big enough to work on the main line. A Standard 5 would be a welcome addition to the main line fleet and able to run at 75.

andalfi1 likes this.
  4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't DCC also own some of the Jinties as well ?

Such a sale could be catastrophic for the MRT , although quite how far £350k would go in council services I'm not sure

5. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

and 25321

6. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Merely an expression to give extra (and unwarranted) weight to unimaginative thought in the same way as "it stands to reason". Such may be common enough but whether they are sensible is open to debate.

Anyway mods, this debate has, IMHO, got to the stage where it needs to be transferred to the soapbox/Speaker's Corner section.

PH

jnc likes this.
  7. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Indeed - so what do you think the council should do ?

Jon

8. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

This reminds me that Eastleigh council money was used to buy s15 828. Do they still own any part of it?

9. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Once upon a time there was going to be a transport museum in Bristol's Wine Street. The museum wasn't built because of rising costs. However the City Council had acquired three Bristol built 0-6-0 saddle tanks; a Fox-Walker, a Peckett and an Avonside. In addition (I'm told) they bought GWR 2818. As the Bristol museum wasn't built it was loaned to the NRM and the Peckett at least went to the Council owned Bristol Docks Railway.
    If Derby decide to sell off their loco asset, Bristol may follow suit.
    How many other Councils own things, such as ships, aircraft, buses etc, they might decide to sell off?

10. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Didn't Plymouth City Council also have an interest in 75079 when it first went to the Plym Valley Railway as well?

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I think that 75079 and 30828 were assisted by local council lotteries, in the days before the national one.

12. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    If Derby Council's finances are as dire as the article makes them out to be, from their perspective it would make sense to put 73129 on the market. I would expect there would be quite a bit of interest. However, that would be very tough for the group which has put in so much effort restoring this engine unless the would-be buyer intended to keep the engine at Butterley under the care of the same people.

13. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I'm not so sure.

Firstly, Derby Council has an annual revenue spend of £222m (source: http://www.derby.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/council-budgets-and-spending/council-budgets/) and a planned capital spend of £276m. A one-off capital windfall of, say, £250k is neither here nor there, while having the capacity to create a lot of bad publicity, not least in how the city views its railway heritage - which, remember, is not only of historical interest, but also a vital part of the wider city economy. I also suspect that they would not want to be seen to pull the rug from one of the county's tourist attractions.

Secondly, if they are not careful, they could in any case lose more than they gain. As an example, Northampton Borough Council recently sold off an Egyptian statue in a fund-raising move, but without going through a proper mechanism for de-accessioning part of the museum collection. The result was that their council museums lost their formal accreditation from the Arts Council. One big effect of that is the withdrawal of grants and the ineligibility to apply for new grants, wiping out the gain from selling the statue. Potentially, the council has more to lose than gain from a sale.

Having worked for a large council during time of major budget cuts, I know from experience it is not a pleasant time. But it is also a time that the managers and politicians should be focused on the big picture of revenue savings: if they are fiddling round the edges with controversial sales to generate tiny amounts of one-off capital, they aren't doing their job. This just looks like headline grabbing by a pressure group.

Tom

2392, michaelh, 26D_M and 2 others like this.
  14. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Interestingly, 73050 is owned by Peterborough City Council.

15. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Tom is right. A steam loco is small beer compared with typical council overheads, even in small unitaries. That said, this kind of news can generate a head of steam (sorry!) with the public and authorities are very sensitive to public reaction. Someone will work out how many social workers could be employed by saving a few hundred thousand pounds. Hopefully common sense/the bigger picture will prevail but you can never be certain of that.

16. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

But was not paid for by them.

17. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

You'd think someone might point out what a shrewd investment it's been by the council, as the likely current value of the loco almost certainly far exceeds the inflation-adjusted amount they bought it for. And they've managed to get it stored and restored for practically nothing. Maybe a time will come to sell it, at which time they could almost certainly make a significant profit.

Well done Council people!

:)

Simon

26D_M likes this.
  18. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

There is no reason why dcc cant hold onto 73129. The loco can become self sufficient with hire charges. She is proving massively popular at the SVR at the moment. Nobody wants to let her go back. She has also been popular everywhere she has been.

19. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Sell it.

If councils sold off their locos there's chance for 46235.

John Petley and andalfi1 like this.
  20. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

All these locos belong to their respective Museum Collections. Cannot be sold. End of.

jnc, Matt37401, Jamessquared and 5 others like this.