If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

St Albans South Signal Box - Extended Opening for Heritage Open Days 11/12th Sept

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by John Webb, Aug 20, 2010.

1. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This preserved signal box, built by the Midland Railway in 1892, will be open 10am to 4pm on Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th September as part of the national Heritage Open Days scheme.

In addition to our usual signalling demonstrations, video of the box in use before closure and small museum of signalling and other railway bits and pieces we shall have:

Miniature Steam Traction engine rides
    Tea and cake on the lawn - watch the trains go by on the Midland Main Line
    Model railway layout with Hornby 'Live Steam' locos running

FREE ENTRY! (But donations always welcome, of course!)

We are in Ridgmont Road, off Victoria Street in St Albans, about 170 yards from the Platform 4 exit of St Albans City Station at the bottom end of the NR Carpark. Please note that there is free parking immediately next to the box only; there may be a charge in the main part of the carpark. Post Code is AL1 3AJ for sat-nav users.

Besides 'Thameslink' trains to St Albans City station there are also numerous bus routes that call there as well.

Map and other information about the box on www.sigbox.co.uk

I'll be working the model railway - do make yourself known if you come!

John Webb
    (Publicity Officer)

2. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The Heritage Open Days take place this weekend.

Unfortunately the model railway has had to be withdrawn due to ill-health of the operator - all the other attractions will still be there!

John Webb
    Publicity Officer