If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

St Albans South Signal Box - developments in 2012

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by John Webb, Jan 29, 2012.

1. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    January has seen a number of bits and pieces done:
    [​IMG]
    This is a new shelf for the better display of our smaller exhibits, formed from a timber that used to support the down-rods and balance weights from the levers upstairs. (Hence the numbers on the front edge!)

Outside we have now connected up our Midland Railway ground disc signal to a small LNWR ground frame:
    [​IMG]
    Close-up view of the signal:
    [​IMG]
    The pulley gets the pull into the right direction to operate the signal and helps us show how signal wires were taken round corners.

2. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    A new addition to our display in the garden:
    [​IMG]

Still to be painted white; we've been waiting for the good weather, which arrived today. But we were also open to the public and wet paint and visitors don't mix!

3. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Sometime since I made any report - much was going on 'behind the scenes' or was delayed by the weather.

First item was the completion of the gate seen above in the previous post:
    [​IMG]
    This was considerably delayed by the heavy rain experienced this year, as was our first major repaint of the box exterior:
    [​IMG]
    This is the south end of the box; the left-hand side has been repainted, the right-hand side was being worked on when I took the picture.

In May our new computer simulator was completed. The next picture shows part of our demo of 7 trains in 20 minutes, approximating to the third busiest hour of the day in the mid-1970s:
    [​IMG]
    A lengthy goods train is on the Up Slow line (top of the diagram - note the number of track circuit lamps lit) - our signalman is ready to give 'Train entering Section' to the next box.
    A stopping passenger train is just pulling into the Up Fast platform - the two sets of lights on the third from top line.

The rain and sun also generated noticeable growth in the garden, seen here mid-August:
    [​IMG]
    Right of the lattice post signal is the newly 'planted' Midland Railway signal post. The rest of the signal was completed just in time for the recent Heritage Open Days:
    [​IMG]
    Seen here in the 'On' (Stop) position.
    Although not yet connected to the lever in the box, we were able to alter it to the 'Off' (Clear) position by hand:
    [​IMG]
    The signal is not a complete original MR signal - it has been assembled from items obtained from several sources; the arm is completely new, however.

Heritage Open Days on the 8th/9th of September saw some 300 visitors attend.
    At the entrance:
    [​IMG]
    Note our new style of T-shirt on the left and the prominate new MR signal at the end of the garden.

Upstairs, our members explained the workings of the box to our visitors:
    [​IMG]
    Note our youngest trainee signalman - grandson of one of our members.