If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spa Valley Railway - London Steam Gala - 24th & 25th April 2010

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by matt41312, Feb 1, 2010.

1. matt41312

matt41312 Member

The Spa Valley's Steam Gala is to take on a London theme this year when it moves to a late April slot.

Star of the show is set to be GWR Pannier tank No. 7715 making its first public appearance as London Transport No. L99, returning to a livery it carried after disposal from BR in the 1960s and also carried in preservation in the early 1990s. L99 is currently being prepared for painting in the sheds at Tunbridge Wells West.

We have a number of former LT rolling stock items that can be matched with L99 and so no doubt there will be a couple of cameo appearances throughout the weekend. Also appearing at the gala will be Jinty 47493 which used to operate suburban commuter services when it was first built.

The railway is currently in talks with Steam Railway magazine with regards to a joint event for the same weekend and so I don't want to ruin their press release, which should appear in the next issue due out 5th February. That's unless Danny wants to add anything. All I can say is expect the usual Spa Valley gala action - late trains on Saturday, brake van rides etc plus a number of surprises...

Matt

2. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Sounds very good especially working an LT ballast train or similar and will put it down for a first visit to the Railway. Hopefully there will be a photo charter or two?

3. Autocar

Autocar New Member

Yes, also down on my calendar for possible first attendence.
    I know these things can rarely be helped but a shame that it clashes with the NVR S&D event

4. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm also looking at making my first visit to Spa. Sounding like a good weekend.

5. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Looking at making my second visit to the line, though you've got a hard act to follow after Fonmon's last train!

6. dgraw

dgraw New Member

Sounds great, and the weekend after my birthday, I know that I will try my very best to turn up at least one day seeing as I only live in Maidstone and have never been! Wouldn't it be great if they could get Met 1 in as well...

7. 68077

68077 New Member

Bus Driver (unfortunately)!
    im looking forward to it and i am there every weekend hope to see a good turn out a few pics of the preperation of the loco into its L99 guise can be found on my Fotopic site

www.75f.fotopic.net

8. matt41312

matt41312 Member

There are plans afoot for photo charters with L99. Our railway photographer, David Staines, is liaising with the various organisers to gain some interest. More to follow.

As for visiting engines, we have approached owners of various suburban engines (including Met No.1), but unfotunately for one reason or another they are not available. It would be great if another former LT Pannier was to be repainted too and then reunited with L99 - shades of Neasden depot in the 1960s...

I think we should be able to turn out a few LT engineering trains, including the former Watford Tip trains or ballast workings. All I can say is watch this space. We also hope that one of the Metropolitan T-Stock coaches will be returning to traffic for the first time in ten years.

We have lots to do before April so if anyone wishes to get involved, pop along to the railway.

Matt

9. 68077

68077 New Member

pictures of 7715's transformation into L99 appear on my fotopic site

10. Autocar

Autocar New Member

Havent had chance to read the full details of the event in Steam Railway yet but just wondering if the night-time photo shoot needs to be pre booked?
    Thanks in advance.

11. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Ref charters with 7715 . Contact has been made however the volume of events this spring together with scarce holiday are edging us towards an autumn event instead . (well that was my understanding )

12. matt41312

matt41312 Member

The evening photo shoot at TWW is something being organised as part of the Steam Railway Reader's day. This is purely a first come, first served event. You will need to fill out a voucher, which will appear in the next issue of SR (out April 2nd) and then bring that along with you on the day to the SVR Tunbridge Wells West ticket office. We don't forsee any issues with this event as we hope to be able to offer a number of places on the night shoot.

There are also plans for another charter, including an evening shoot with L99 later on in the year. If you are interested in this event, I suggest you contact Sidmouth as a first point of call. He should be able to help you.

Matt

13. matt41312

matt41312 Member

Night Photo Shoot

Guys,

Just to let you know that the evening photo shoot at the Steam Gala will be limited to 50 people only. This is a first come first served thing and you will need to bring with you a copy of the next Steam Railway magazine, due out 2nd April. It will have in there a voucher to the Reader's Day.

Any questions, just let me know. L99 is expected to be on shed all evening.

Matt

14. Jay18

Jay18 New Member

Looking at the line-up I'm getting really excited about this gala. Two marroon engines will be a great addition to my photography portfolio. I can't wait to see what a steam freight set would have looked like on the Met :)
    I've visited the railway a number of times and I'm always pleased to see their pride of the fleet, ex LMS Jinty no.47493 which they always keep in top polished condition. It's looking to be a great gala and I'm looking forward to getting some fantastic pictures.

15. matt41312

matt41312 Member

L99 is now in its top coat maroon and the guy doing the lining and lettering commenced yesterday. He will be on site over the next two weeks through to completion. The loco looks absolutely superb even now and we still have lots to do before the 24th, so you will not be disappointed.

The carriage and wagon boys are cooking on gas restoring the LT flat wagon and with the LT brake, will look truely amazing behind L99.

One of the LT T-Stock is now almost ready for testing following works. It's a shame we haven't got a couple more weeks as it would be possible to get both vehicles running. But that is something for later in the year.

TKh Spartan is due to have its boiler inspection next week so crossed fingers. Unfortunately there is no time available to paint her before the event and so she won't look pretty but will hopefully be functioning.

The timetable is now approved and I hope to issue that on to the website either this week or early next week. We have a few surprises up our sleeves and what with Steam Railway in attendance, book signings and a vintage bus booked, it looks set to be a good weekend. Be sure to make your way down to Kent!

Matt

16. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Thanks for the info. Matt & looking forward to the event.

Cheers

17. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

As long as it sounds the part! ;-)

18. matt41312

matt41312 Member

She sounds good although has a softer bark than Fonmon. Bearing in mind she will be fresh from overhaul, we won't be pushing her too hard as she won't be fully run in. I think the guys and gals at 75F will be glad to have another loco available again.

It is also hoped to put RSH No.62 'Ugly' on display throughout the weekend. The overhaul of this is now rapidly heading towards a conclusion too and I think it is hoped to pose her in the yard with her tank on before it is removed again for rubbing down and painting.

Matt

P.S. Some of the lettering had been applied to L.99 late last night. Two words can only describe it - b****y amazing! You will not be disappointed.

19. 68077

68077 New Member

a teasing glimpse of the pannier can be seen on my website there is still alot of lining to go on. keep an eye on the SVR website for timetable etc for the forthcoming gala.

20. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre