If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Southwest Munster Railway Association (Ireland)

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Felix Holt, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

A small number of NatPres members are looking at the possibility of starting a South West Munster Railway Association, in an area restricted to Counties Cork, Kerry, and Limerick (to avoid encroaching on the Clare Railway and the Waterford & Suir Valley Railway folk). We see this Association as encompassing those interested in Railway History, Model Railways (including the possibility of a Cork club), and Heritage activities (including a possible short heritage line, and/or locomotive restoration or replica new build). The fact that this is posted in the Narrow Gauge sub-forum is for convenience, and we will be happy to include those interested in 5’3” and 3 foot gauges!

The intention is to hold an inaugural meeting in Cork city sometime in October (if there is enough interest expressed at this preliminary stage). If you think this idea for an Association is a good plan, please let me know; also please note whether it is likely that you could attend an inaugural meeting, or just wish to be kept informed of developments. (Also let me know of anyone else I should contact.) If interested, please pm me via NatPres.

Go raibh maith agat!

Reading General and Martin Perry like this.
  2. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

it seems to me the small installation at Halfway is teetering on the brink, maybe an initiative in that direction might be a good start?

3. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Interested in being kept informed as things develop. Too far away to attend of offer practical assistance. I would've thought narrow gauge may be more practical from a cost/availability point of view, but it depends if you're looking at an operating or a static attraction.

Keith

4. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

My wife's family have a place over there (coincidentally very close to where those three counties all meet) so I'm interested, but wouldn't in all probability actually join or get involved in a practical sense (far too much to do as it is).
    Having only last week returned from a trip over there, I got to thinking that the 5'3" gauge line at Foynes would make a lovely little heritage railway - the track is still there (albeit in rather a state) as is the signal box and water tower; something needs doing with the station soon before the canopy completely collapses, but it does have the advantage of being just across the road from the Flying Boat museum (which we visited). I've no idea if this is even remotely viable; at one time there was talk of Foynes re-opening for freight, though presumably nothing is happening.

Limerick-Tralee would be lovely but clearly this is in totally WIBN territory! But Foynes to Adare would be enough, Adare is already a tourist hot-spot.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017