If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Southern standardisation (follow-on from the 94xx thread)

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Bikermike, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Bikermike

Bikermike Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We all know the GW had an amazing level of standardisation at a component level. This IMO is becuase they struck on a formula that worked and were rich and ruthless enough to impose it across the post-grouping system, and it still worked 40 years later. (Compare to eg the Midlandisation dead-end on the LMS, and LNWR being too archaic)

The LNER didn't look at standardisation of locomotives until Thompson (albeit there was some parts standardisation across Gresley locos), but as they only started in 1923 (or 1942ish for Thompson).

Interestingly, the Southern might have come in second in the standardisation stakes. As electrification allowed the removal of large numbers of older engines by the 1930s and would have continued had war/nationalisation. At which point in the 50s pretty much everything could be N/U, [S/H15, Black/Green tanks], [Q1 and pacifics], USA tanks.

Would that put them in second place behind the GW, or would the LMS's sheer muscle have allowed them to whack out enough black 5s/8Fs to get rid of all the older engines?

(The IMR obviously gets to point and laugh at such differing loco studs)

jnc likes this.
  2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Interesting. The GW was still using a fair number of pre-grouping non-standard locos into the 1950s, but disposed of the majority pretty quickly.
    The LMS was hamstrung to a degree by sheer numbers; all those MR 0-6-0s would have taken a while to chew through.
    Chances are that they would have ended up pretty standard around the same time as the SR but for the war/nationalisation/modernisation plan etc.

3. Bikermike

Indeed. If they had built the 4Fs as 2251-equivalents, using a pattern that could be developed into black 5s etc, then it would be very different.

I wonder it the austen 7s could have been built in a similar way? Or was an 0-8-0 too much of a dead end?

But yes, the sheer volume of midland-esque engines (and the fact that unlike the Southern, the steam duties needed replacing with more steam) is why I think the Southern may have "won"

Martin Perry likes this.
  4. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    They were also able to concentrate the vast majority of pre group classes into a very limited area served from a single factory, and institute a programme of installing standard parts on non standard locomotives. No doubt at all they were by far the best placed with a single dominant constituent who were also highly integrated. Most of all, though, there was the will to do it. Reading Cox, for example, it seems evident that on the LMS the drawing offices were much better at finding reasons not to change policies than they were at introducing them. And Holcroft talks about Jock Finlayson having a tendency to "revert to Urie" whenever the opportunity was there!

Martin Perry likes this.
  5. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Should that also take account of the influence of LMS practice on Riddles Standard classes ? One needs to consider (a) that the LMS had a variety of designs from many companies (b) Ivatt was introducing his 2MT designs (41xxx/ 464xx) as standard to replace early 0-6-0 designs (c) LMS practice was reflected by the Standard 5 4-6-0 (improved Stanier LMS Class 5), Standard 4 2-6-0 (improved Ivatt LMS Class 4), Standard 2 2-6-0 (improved Ivatt Class 2MT), Standard 4 2-6-4T (improved LMS 2-6-4T) and Standard 2 2-6-2T (improved Ivatt 2-6-2T).

In terms of the Southern note that his BB/WC Pacifics were adopted as a "standard" design to replace the multitude of designs inherited from the many small companies that formed the post-Grouping Southern Railway but which had not been replaced earlier as (limited) funding had been allocated to electrification schemes following Sir Herbert Walker's policy of electrifying passenger services as quickly as possible but using diesel traction for the longer routes (e.g. Waterloo - Exeter / Bournemouth - Weymouth). Essentially a more basic question is how far post-Grouping companies were able to continue locomotive / traction policies within the aegis of post-nationalisation British Railways.

Bikermike likes this.
  6. Bikermike

What about the 1923 drive to Midlandisation? Ironically, if they'd been less keen to do that, they might have been not as far down the wrong route.

It's interesting - nobody was stupid in the design offices, but they drew entirely different conclusions from a similar picture. What the GW had IMO was not just a will and ability to impose, but a formula that worked. Arguably both the midland and lnwr had both standardised, but at a technological arrangement that was superseded, arguably by grouping.

7. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Taking this from a different standpoint, it's not the entire vehicles which need to be standardised.
    It's the smaller components like clack valves, draw hooks and something as simple as a compartment door catch which offer savings if standardised.
    The Southern happily swapped refurbished components between many classes. S15 828 has components stamped with the numbers of H15 and N15 locos withdrawn some years before 828.
    Even consumables like brake blocks and firebars would make a saving. If your coach fleet all had wheels of one size instead of three it would make store keeping and supply much easier.

I think I read it somewhere in this forum, but were there not four or five different designs of boilers for Black 5's? Unfortunately they were not all compatible with the variations in chassis design.

Cheers, Neil

8. Bikermike

Yes, from a spares p.o.v. an engine is just a collection of spares lines.

(I used to work for Unipart, managing the info for the spares with a computer system was bad enough, doing it with men in brown overcoats and pencils behind their ears will be much harder - especially when it comes to change)

9. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    and three different frame plate thicknesses and---- you could go on and on about Black 5s.

10. D1039

D1039 Guest

A dumb question I've never asked. Did post-grouping companies ever consider standardisation with or buying stock from other companies? LMS and SR would be the primary case, not in competition and co-operating already on the S&D. Could the SR have, for example, bought or built an off the peg LMS 2-6-4T rather than designing their own locos?

Patrick

11. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    Didn't the LNWR and Lanky fall foul of the Law due to Crewe building engines for the Lanky? Did the relevant law still persist into Grouping?
    Pat

12. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    LMS and the Royal Scots.
    Basically, though, it would be a very troublesome affair, because as part of the CME's duty is to have a design team and factory capable of providing the best possible locomotives for the railway, if the CME wants to go outside its an admission that he can't do part of his job, and if the board wants to go outside its a statement of no confidence in their CME.

D1039 and andalfi1 like this.
  13. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    The Caley certainly weren't able to build Dunalastairs for Belgium due to a law permitting only construction for the 'home line'. That certainly went west under Railway Executive during WWII, with 8Fs being knocked out left, right and centre.

14. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

There's a big difference between one railway company building locos to sell to another one, which was regarded as unfair competition with the independent builders, and a railway works building another company's design to government order.

15. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Not just Locos and Coaches.

The North Eastern Railway built 24 independent snowploughs to 12 different designs.
    Some were obviously different, but most looked just like each other.

16. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Hence the wording in my OP, as both the railways and their workshops operated under Railway Exectutive Committee control 'for the duration'.

17. Bikermike

What an apt name to raise this!
    Presumably a lot of that was down to them being built on redundant tender chassis?

18. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Mine isn't. (google Snowdrift at Bleath Ghyl. The timber one that's mine)

Some were built to reuse Loco Frames or Tenders, but others were purpose designed.

19. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    But the Royal Scots were ordered from North British simply because the works were building / re-building locos hence hadn't the capacity to meet the timescales requested by the LMSR Board. Their "outside order" was therefore not a criticism of either the Board by the CME OR the CME by the Board. Similarly with the Jubilees; one could also point to the order for Gresley A1s going to North British Loco BUT that wasn't a criticism of Gresley by the LNER Board either; even Swindon turned to the North British Loco for some its Pannier classes including 57cc and 94xx examples.

jnc likes this.
  20. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Some of the 43xx 2-6-0 were built by outside contractors (RSH)