If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

south devon railway delivering the goods gala 29-3-13

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by KEYHAMTRAIN, Mar 31, 2013.

1. KEYHAMTRAIN

KEYHAMTRAIN Member

some photos from this event taken on friday 23-3-13 now at delivering the goods gala 29-3-13 - keyhamtrain railway photography video at keyhamtrain's channel - YouTube locos in use are 33002/L92/ 3205/ 1369/D8110

2. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

Did anyone else go to this? I popped out between work shifts on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Really impressed with the variety of traction and types of working that the SDR puts out at its galas, and timetable didn't seem to go more than 20 mins adrift despite its complexity in places. Appreciated the mix of steam and diesel too.

Barely got to see L92 moving at all! As I was only free to make quick one/two-hour dashes out to lineside locations or for half-line round trips, all my free moments from work happened to be when the Pannier was between turns, except for seeing it double-heading with 3205 on Friday morning in the distance as I approached Buckfastleigh in the car.

A couple of questions... when I rode on the DMU on the half-price weekend in March, I thought I saw a couple of interesting photo spots that I've found hard to locate in practice. Is the bridge over the line just outside Totnes Littlehempston private property and part of the water works? Is the crossing at Bishops Bridge on private property as part of Station House, or is that little lane accessible?

Any answers very much appreciated.

stumpytrain likes this.
  3. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    Hampstead Bridge just outside Totnes is on a private road leading to the Waterworks so not available for public access. The crossing at Bishops Bridge is easy to reach and is just a short walk along the lane from the road. Other unusual photo opportunities will be available when the station yard at Staverton is open to the public during the end of May 1960's gala (when it is in use as an overflow for the ale festival and there should be a couple of loco's on display) and again in August over Rails and Ales event. During both the yard up to level with the end of the platform is usually open, however during the September Transport Gala the yard will be open and housing a display of PW track machines and other plant, and access is expected to be available nearly as far as Bishops Bridge box which should present some really unusual photo chances for those who do not have a lineside pass. Keep an eye on the various websites and forums for more details nearer each event.

4. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

Thanks Ganger, that's good to know. Having the Station House sign on the wall at the end of that lane at Bishops Bridge did make me wonder if I'd be an unwelcome guest in their garden if I went down to where I thought the crossing would be. I'll be out for all special events at the SDR this year, all the Saturdays with a diesel turn and a good few two-train service days during the summer too.