If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Soham Box

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by dace83, Jun 7, 2011.

1. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I was near Prickwillow yesterday on the train to Peterborough via Ely. I noticed a large signal box in a scrapyard. After a little googling I found it was the soham box. Anyone know what is happening with this one?

http://sohamroots.co.uk/history/railway.htm

2. LNERGE

LNERGE New Member

Soham box is destined for use on the Mid Norfolk railway at Kimberley Park. The move is due to take place later this year. There were two frames in the box and they were removed today in preparation for transport. The original Soham frame is not going with the box and is joining my collection. The frame was a 35 lever Saxby Duplex shortened by BR to 10 levers. The other frame was from Padnal box and is going into storage until a new home is found for it.

Once the box is at Kimberley Park it is proposed to fit a 16 lever Dutton frame ex Whitemoor Junction and provide a home and distant in each direction interlocked with the crossing gates. There are no other firm plans for further works at this location but it would be ideal for a second passing loop in due course.

Hopefully getting the box to the MNR will get it the tender loving care it deserves and allow others to visit the box when it is manned. It is intended to highlight the areas of wartime damage where there is glass embedded in the woodwork Etc..

3. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

sounds good, will it go on the original foundations or next to the cross like at Thuxton?

4. LNERGE

LNERGE New Member

The original arrangements at Kimberley Park involved the signalman using a pushbike to cycle the length of the down platform to open or close the gates as required. I think it would be best to place the box nearer the crossing, upside, to reduce any delays to motorists and provide a good view of the crossing should buckets of money ever turn up to convert it to MCB..

5. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
    I think putting it back where there was a box would be best. Dont care about the cars in that sence. Stations should be put back fully.

Whats the other signal box they have in kimberley park? is that for thuxton?

6. LNERGE

LNERGE New Member

I'm not sure of the fine detail but the MNR may not own that part of the platform where the old box was. Putting it nearer the crossing is my favoured option. Should i get enough parts for an MCB crossing a good close view will be needed. The road at Kimberley Park is quite busy and probably has the fastest traffic. I would prefer not to make a crossing keeper/signalman walk out across that road with a 27 foot gate in his hand. One gate has been lost to a speeding motorist already this year.

I'm not aware of any other boxes at Kimberley Park. Thuxton has a new box under construction.

7. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

dman-Lewis
    Are you referring to the box which is at Hardingham station? if so, I understand
    this one (ex Snettisham I believe) is being installed as a non working box next to the station buildings. The original Hardingham box was on the opposite platform.

8. LNERGE

LNERGE New Member

The box at Hardingham is ex Snettisham with the frame from Welland Bridge, Spalding. Maybe one day it could control the entrance to a siding but that's about all. I hope that Yaxham will do the same soon but with signals interlocked with the gates. We have a frame, ex Parson's Heath, for Yaxham.

9. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Looks half and half!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. forestclive

forestclive New Member

I've heard rumours that the date for the relocation of the Soham Box to the Kimberley platform is november 4th. Is that correct ? Anyone got any idea what is the time-frame for instalation of a leverframe inside?

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I take it that this box was a replacement for the one that went to the moon on 02/06/1944?

12. Traffic Circular

Traffic Circular New Member

No the Box at Soham was patched back together after the incident. Even today you can see shards of glass from the windows embedded in the back wall, it was covered in hardboard to hide them after the event. If you visit Mangapps Railway Museum they have the relay cabinet from inside the box which also contains the same scars.

13. LNERGE

LNERGE New Member

The 4th is likely to be the day. I imagine it's down to finance/availability of people to build a base before thoughts turn to getting a frame in the box.

14. LNERGE

LNERGE New Member

15. LNERGE

LNERGE New Member

I did post an update yesterday but nothing seems to have appeared.

16. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

17. LNERGE

LNERGE New Member

I did try and post that link to the picture of Shippea Hill/Soham on Friday afternoon but to no avail. The box at Hardingham is looking fantastic. I wonder if i'll get to wire it up again? I made all the instruments work when it was at Snettisham may years ago when i was a keen amateur.

18. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

19. forestclive

forestclive New Member

Anyone seen/taken any pictures of the re-sited Soham ( Kimberley ) box ?

20. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

Sorry, I have only just seen the post that was pre-modded at #14 above. This due to pre-modding of some links to stop the spammers if your post count is below a certain amount. It is sometimes worth PM'ing one of the team if it is not approved within a short while.

Neil.