If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Scarborough Spa Express 2011

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by bobbler, Apr 10, 2011.

1. bobbler

bobbler Member

I can't see a thread for this yet so I thought that I would start one.

If there is one I am sure I will be banished!

2. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Looking forward to this 2011 Summer series of 'Spa' Excursions with a few differant Loco's.
    I think we are so lucky in Yorkshire to have this Train followed by the 'Flyer' on Fridays.

3. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Any idea which engines will be working on which weeks during the summer. 44932, 46115 and 70013 are supposed to be rostered to the pool working it, as Leander has been pulled for overhaul.

4. Ianb47306

Ianb47306 New Member

Student
  5. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Anyone suggest any locations for this? Not been out to photograph it before, may spend a few days in August doing it.

6. Ianb47306

Ianb47306 New Member

Student
    I haven't been out in a few years to see the SSE but I can suggest a few locations that may help you, it just depends how far you'd like to travel. If you're interested in any spots I can try to give you better details but here is an overview.

Scarborough station (albeit now lacking a signal gantry) - a decent shot looking down on the train from a neighborouring road.

Seamer - there is a lay-by on the Scarborough bound side of the A64 next to the line. You can get a shot on the south side of the train from there but it will be pretty head on.

Seamer - a good shot is available from the road bridge on the B1261 (just off the A64) looking down on the train as it heads back towards York. Plenty of room for parking at the location (just down the road) and the bridge is sufficiently wide enough so that pedestrians are well away from passing cars.

East and West Heslerton - there a few shots to be had around here and to be honest I can't remember one from the other so you might have to visit and see what you think. All are smallish lanes leaving the A64 and all do have enough room for parking albeit there is not alot. Carr Lane. East Heslerton Lane. Both good shots on the south side of the line looking westwards. Station Road. Possibly a shot both ways from the north side of the line.

Kirkham Abbey - There are plenty of shots to be had here and it is fairly easy to find as the roads down to the abbey are all signed off the A64. Park at Kirkham priory (there is a smallish car park which is not normally busy mid-week) and walk back up the road towards the level crossing. Cross the road bridge over the river and walk up the road on the right (a private road as I recall but there is access for the footpath). At the top of this road you will find the railway. Last time I was here there were semaphore signals but I am not sure if these have gone in the upgrades to the line. There are shots avialable from either side of the line for trains heading in either direction. If you cross the railway and walk to your right you can follow the footpath across several fields. There are plenty of shots avialable from the north side of the line looking down in either direction. If you take any video this is a very nice shot as you can see the train for a few minutes if you find exactly the right spot.

Crambe (Riders Lane) - A nice shot as I recall and a variety of locations available. Looking from the north side of the line and certainly ok for trains heading for York. Parking possible on the roadside.

Strensall - a few locations are available off Lords Moor Lane. Southside of the line, fairly dark as the area is mostly in woodland.

York - River Ouse Bridge - side on shot for trains in either direction. Easy to access on foot via the paths alongside the Ouse. You would most probably have to pay for car parking though.

York Station

Copmanthorpe - Moor Lane runs alongside the mainline on the south side. Shots are avialable of trains in all directions but as there is electrification this may detract from the shot.

Colton Jct - Braegate Lane. Road leads from the A64 at Billborough services. Parking on the roadside or off the main road down a small lane. Shots definitely available looking north (and possibly south as well but I can't remember). You can also see the ECML from this point so there is plenty of activity.

I hope you find that to be of some help. It is a while since I've been out though so I'm afraid the vegetation may have grown since. Give yourself plenty of time to check out locations and maybe you'll want to have a think about the sun angles etc if you're hoping for a perfect shot.

7. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    I'll post a comprehensive list from what I used last Summer Neil on Tuesday once Uni has finished.

Undergrowth was an issue last year, don't know how bad it will be this year... Si

8. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    One I got last year... http://www.flickr.com/photos/alts1985/4880593954/in/set-72157624839883115

I went by train so avoided having to pay for parking!

9. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Thanks for the replies - looks like a few options. I'll get the gradient profile book out to have a flick through sometime as well.

10. Ianb47306

Ianb47306 New Member

Student
    I could be wrong but I think the Scarborough line is as good as flat. If you want to see locos working I'd advise going somewhere on the other side of York.

11. Matt

Matt Member

Remembering last year the best climb on the route (ignoring the short sharp slog up from Kirkgate) was out of Wakefield Westgate, probably about 5 miles long or so. There was a station on this climb called Outwood I think, wouldn't be the most scenic of shots but if you want to see and hear an engine working hard it's probably the best on the route I reckon?

12. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

..............and here it is, The final evening circle of last year taken when sat in front of a fair crowd in the fading light on the southbound platform at Outwood. Had a tear in my eye as the noise faded in the distance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNQoIA4cisw&feature=related

[​IMG]

13. The_Bishop

The_Bishop New Member

Does anyone know if and when the flying scotsman will be pulling the scarborough spa express?

14. mroper

mroper New Member

I doubt it, flying Scotman will be in the NRM until the end of August.....I assume she'll then need mainline trials before she runs the shuttles in September.

15. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    UK Steam has 45407/44932/46115/70013,but since 70013 is down for the Crewe pool I doubt it will appear on the SSEs, as it would mean 6201 having no back up and doing 3 tours over four days.

16. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Hopefully won't just be a full black five show. 46115 was immense last year.

17. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Should have some black 5 options with it this year, but I'd expect to see a lot of 46115 on it with a Black 5 as back up. Leander was supposed to be rostered for the job too but given problems has been withdrawn from traffic. 70013 normally works the trains on the bank holiday week before and after, so as to also include the weekend and perhaps an extra coach of people.

18. Rebeccajane

Rebeccajane Member

I've just booked on the scarborough spa express for august and ive got 2 different timings...

The one i got in an email from West Coast Railways are...

OUTWARD

Departure from:
    YORK - 09.15
    KNARESBOROUGH - 10.10
    HARROGATE - 10.25
    LEEDS - 11.25
    YORK (Middle Stop) - 12.00
    SCARBOROUGH (arr.) - 13.20

RETURN

Departure from:
    SCARBOROUGH - 17.50
    YORK (Middle Stop) - 19.10
    LEEDS - 19.55
    HARROGATE - 20.35
    KNARESBOROUGH - 20.50
    YORK (arr.) - 21.25

And the ones on UKsteam are...

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t11/tscspa.htm

Does anyone know the real timings?

Thank you :)

19. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
  20. Rebeccajane

Rebeccajane Member