If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

S&D Railway Trust

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Andy Norman, Feb 24, 2020.

1. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

Why would the S&DRT want to buy any engines from the WSR - how would that accord with their Charitable objectives?
    Why would the S&DRT want to buy any carriages so that they could run some sort of passenger service on the WSR - how would that accord with their Charitable objectives?
    As ghost has said, Kilmersdon is a small industrial, even less suitable to running up and down the WSR than Victor or Vulcan were. Meaning no disrespect to those at the Helston Railway, but you simply can't compare the two experiences.

Everyone here is entitled to their own opinions - it's called democracy - but there comes a point when, to be frank, one has to be blunt and say that you are talking plain rubbish and in the process demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of the realities and practicalities of your proposals - sorry. Maybe I am doing the same, feel free to correct me as necessary :)

BrightonBaltic, ross, dhpaul and 6 others like this.
  2. Herald

Herald Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Maybe recognition that the way this is going a small industrial with a couple of coaches on a short track is all that will remain. Many centres seem to operate like this and the Avon Valley make a good income form their cafe on the cycle path. :)

BrightonBaltic likes this.
  3. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

Right. It did seem that they were more interested in generating more business for themselves than any other kind of role. (Said formerly overly powerful board member was last seen working for). There was some seriously odd things such as a private company owned by the organisation but in which the auditors/consultants also had a stake being set up.

It seemed to me that there were people on the board who were more interested in potential money making opportunities for themselves than in the health of the organisation and they had lots of fingers in pies set up to exploit it. A bit like the football club chairman who sell the ground to themselves and then get the club to rent it back from them or who leave the club and then sell the ground for a supermarket.

I am also reminded of when someone described how you launder money, he described the process as doing lots of things that are legal individually but illegal as a whole. I am not suggesting that there is money laundering or anything illegal going on, but rather that as with the experience where I work of lots of small minor steps that don't seem too bad but when you add them together they equal a very bad whole. You can argue that the eviction of the S&DRT is part of a process of minor actions and I think have been through a long slow burn process like this, it is important to be proactive early not later in stopping it.

MellishR likes this.
  4. Leafent

Leafent New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Why don't you go and find something constructive to do instead of making these weird suggestions.

5. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

West Somerset Railway Steam Centre anyone? ;)

Keith

6. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

The cafe at Bitton is a good example of where a railway has taken something which in part is a nuisance to them - as the extensive use of the 'railway path' by cyclists and pedestrians has caused conflict in the past with their operations - and turned it to their advantage, as the cafe normally AFAIK opens almost every day of the year and probably most of its daily business is not actual railway passengers. The railway still has plans for expansion, initially to Kelston I think (which would prove useful as really it is more in Saltford), but AIUI the main problem is lack of manpower to do the work.

Monkey Magic likes this.
  7. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

Would it make a good base for the S&DRTrust if the expansion to Kelston were made ? As I recall Bitton already uses all the available land, but there could be room for a new base at the Kelston end. - Better still to get through to the Bath boundary but that will probably remain in the WIBN basket for a few years yet.

Monkey Magic likes this.
  8. City of truro fan

City of truro fan Member

I am thinking how SAndD can adapt in the future as it’s better to have plans than have eggs in one basket and wait it it fails. Change to selling a few things and buying some others and not always form the WSR that’s an example I thought up so they can survive if the WSR don’t chose to get along with them it doesn’t always go as planned or the easy way ther is thinking outside the boxes they can do

9. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Where are the S&D Trust getting all this money from, and what should they be selling?

10. City of truro fan

City of truro fan Member

Exactly they don’t make enough so need adapt to make more to survive as you don’t know when you will have it move out

11. flying scotsman123

Well at the moment, they have to move out by the beginning of next year. How can they adapt - adapt to what? - and make more money without first having a lot of money to spend? You seem to be suggesting that they run competing services on a part of the WSR, a fear of which from the WSR board is possibly one of the reasons they're being kicked out in the first place.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    BrightonBaltic and ghost like this.
  12. City of truro fan

City of truro fan Member

It is a useful thing that they own that can make monies as well as spend it doing loans to railways or braking van rides somewhere where they are wanted

13. ghost

As you were informed previously, Kilmersdon is out of ticket, therefore it cannot make any money.

Keith

BrightonBaltic and Monkey Magic like this.
  14. City of truro fan

City of truro fan Member

I don’t think they could just put kilmerson onto the main line and stop the WSR so they couldn’t let the signals let there trains through. But of the WSR never opens back up then yes they could go as far as kilmerson could travel until it runs out of water which isn’t all the way I know

15. flying scotsman123

If the WSR closes there won't be anywhere for the S&D Trust to run, not even Washford! All the safety cases, light railway/transport and works order, are held with the WSR, and without those, you can't do anything.

BrightonBaltic, jnc and ghost like this.
  16. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

Please stop drinking the hand sanitiser.

17. City of truro fan

City of truro fan Member

They will have to make new ones and new arrangements or just move. They have to be positive and shove the WSR in its places that are unmentionable

18. flying scotsman123

Please, for the love of god, [​IMG]

19. ghost

Yes, because it's all just so easy.

Seriously Derek, you say on your profile that "I have been serious enthusiast forever so hold expert knowledge of this area and understand lots of things about it." - perhaps you should amend that statement, because it is clearly not correct.

Keith

20. City of truro fan

City of truro fan Member

Instead of being negative all the times and argumenting about it ok I’ll do that instead.