If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

S&D Railway Trust

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Andy Norman, Feb 24, 2020.

1. John Palmer

John Palmer New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I appreciate and sympathise with your dilemma about whether or not to post but, without intending to put the point aggressively, this doesn't alter my view that your decision to do so was the wrong one, for reasons I have probably repeated far too often.

If it really is the case that a trial on Nat Pres. achieves nothing, then it would matter not one jot if you had decided instead to keep to yourself your concerns about the validity issue and a discussion about it had never taken place here. This is, after all, nothing more than an internet discussion forum, the expressions of opinion on which count for little.

Or have I misunderstood, and you believe instead that suppositions and assumptions made here that you see as being wrong need to be corrected?

2. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

It is not only many on NP that are unhappy about this - even disgusted I may add - don't forget the threats made to a school teacher and the diversion of a grant to a different purpose than was hoped for by many in the local community. Not a pleasant scenario and one wonders how much goodwill still exists locally since one of their major attractions has ceased to feature in the local events calendar.
    Curiously a Forties Week End is planned. How incongruous as WW2 was a very busy and hectic time for our railways but in West Somerset there are no trains running. (Just a platform shuffle maybe).

BrightonBaltic and Paulthehitch like this.
  3. Greenway

There's a fine photo on the Mid Hants thread.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  4. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

That was what I had in mind. The detailed operation of that legislation and its interaction with other legislation is the preserve of finer minds than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnc likes this.
  5. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

It's a bit Wizard of Oz. To explain the rational behind making the determination would be to peel back the curtain, because the moment someone says 'I came to my conclusions on the basis of x,y,z' then someone else can say 'but what about a,b and c' that you haven't considered, and so it gets contested and questioned because although it is presented as an objective opinion it is actually a subjective opinion. This is no different to anything else, I am sure that if someone were to make some suggestions on loco front ends for example, or any other thing, there would be counterveiling views. There is almost an expectation of deference, that people should stop questioning and should just accept John Bailey's opinion.

It seems strange to announce an answer but not to explain the working to get to the answer.

BrightonBaltic and jnc like this.
  6. Keith Sims

Keith Sims Member

retired from volunteering
    Sad to see 53808 leaving WSR yesterday! However it was pleasing to see that the shed crew had turned her out in super looking condition. Well done! Just shows the affection for the loco and the dedication of WSR staff and volunteers. Keith & Joyce

7. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thank you for the clarification.

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

You can't fail to be impressed by the appearance of the 7F as presented for transfer. As you say, that speaks volumes of the engineering and maintenance team at Minehead. It is such a shame that the management of the line does not seem 'at one' with one of the groups of people who actually are the folk who make it possible for the line to operate at all.

9. Greenway

It has been mentioned many time that the crew are great; it is just Captain Bligh and those on the upper deck that are the problem

10. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

the proof will be in the pudding when it runs and hopefully it will have a successful stint at the MHR and add a good sum of money to the future overhaul fund

Whether the S&D trust decides to pursue further action or in essence gifts the free use of the engine for the last seven (?) years to the WSR will be one to watch

BrightonBaltic likes this.
  11. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

https://www.west-somerset-railway.c...orset-railway-trust-ltd-joint-press-statement

“There will be further discussions between the WSR and S&DRT on funding towards the end of this hire period to the MHR.”​

Tom

D1039 likes this.
  12. Snifter

Snifter Well-Known Member

Was it not in the press release that included the reference to the ORR related incident that never happened that some loco crews didn't like "88" and that she was often "thrashed" ? If ever there was any evidence needed to the contrary then it is the meticulous attention that the most loved loco on the line has received in recent weeks.

Well done guys.

13. Greenway

What is it that is said about politics? A week is a long time? I guess a couple of years is probably a long time in heritage railway circles.
    I wonder if the engineering experts here can suggest whether recent work, at Minehead, done on 88. could warrant an extension to the locos life after the 'official date' of its ticket. An extra short period could make quite a difference to the Trust's budget for 88.
    I wonder what the odds a bookmaker might give regarding the return - or non return - to the WSR, of 88 in the future? ;)

14. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I'm pretty sure the work was on valves and/or pistons, nothing on the boiler of note. Doesn't preclude an extension being granted due to other reasons though, although I wouldn't be too hopeful on that front.

15. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

My money would be on it not returning, but we shall have to wait and see.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  16. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I didn’t say what you quote me as saying - can you edit please?

Thanks

Tom

17. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Boilers are examined on a yearly basis, and depending on what is found, they are then allowed to steam for 12 months, but insurance protocols do insist that every 10 years a boiler has to have an inspection, and all defects found remedied followed by an out of the frames hydraulic, and steam test, before an new 10 year ticket can be granted, subject to an insurers inspection every 12 months.

jnc likes this.
  18. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

In two years time, who knows what the WSR will look like, it's even possible that the WSR may not survive its self, if it can not earn revenue to see it through the winter, At least 53808 will have a safe home at Ropley for the next two years, and who knows, the trust might decide its better to seek a longer term deal, especially if the MHR can offer financial help with some funding for the boiler repairs.

BrightonBaltic likes this.
  19. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    I personally cant see the loco ever returning to the WSR and if the S&D Trust have any sense they should keep it well away from them. Also i personally believe the PLC dont want it back as they see it as a liability.

BrightonBaltic, martin1656 and jnc like this.
  20. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Is it a liability or the reality that keeping is not compatible with the eviction? If you know ultimately you are going to lose it then trying to minimise the expense of ending the relationship which you know is going to end regardless maybe seen by some as a sensible business option even if morally wrong.

garth manor likes this.