If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

S&D Railway Trust

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Andy Norman, Feb 24, 2020.

1. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    With 53808 moving to the MHR would there be room for a possible future home for the S&D Trust at the MHR? Could the museum at Washford be moved to either Ropley or Medstead? Just wondering what others think about this at the moment? The Trust would be very welcome on the MHR.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

2. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

Even today I would argue there are still those who think that, being at the WSR, the S&DRT are too far from a perceived 'spiritual home' on the actual line. Going even further away to the MHR could have a significant impact on their available volunteer base, although arguably it would be closer to home for some of them.

green five likes this.
  3. Dan Taylor

Dan Taylor New Member Account Suspended

Fireman

Right now anything is possible.

AIUI as well the SDRT has a lot of other assets as well as the S&D collection, thinking track , wagons building etc that I'm sure any willing railway with space would be happy to give them the space for.

Be an attractive proposition for both railway and SDRT .

green five likes this.
  4. 60044

60044 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Where is the space for a public-accessible, self-contained depot for the S&DRT at the MHR if they do end up leaving the WSR? I can't see one that isn't already in use. The best bet that I can see would be the former oil sidings at Cranmore on the ESR and I think it would give that line a real boost

JBTEvans and Wenlock like this.
  5. bluetrain

bluetrain Well-Known Member

I do wonder whether the move of 53808 will be the start of a broader re-location of S&DRT assets away from Washford in order to lessen dependence on the WSR. Even if current negotiations result in a compromise between WSR and S&DRT over the eviction notice, there will be a legacy of mistrust. Extensive discussion elsewhere in this forum suggests that, as long as the WSR PLC remains solvent, it is unlikely that critics can force any change to its management and direction.

On the other hand, if the WSR PLC becomes insolvent, then the train service through Washford could remain suspended for a very long time, during which the only visitors will have to come by road. Would the museum site be viable in that situation?

A big question is whether any alternative location has the space to take the whole of the current Washford collection. It may be that the collection would have to be split over 2 or 3 sites. The other big question is who would pay the costs of any re-locations. The S&DRT certainly has a strong moral claim for compensation from the WSR, but I have no idea whether that moral claim would translate to a legal entitlement, nor whether the WSR would actually have the money to pay.

6. summerof67

summerof67 New Member

We have to remember that the SDRT have been evicted by the WSR from Washford and so they WILL be leaving for another location of course.

7. Groks212

Groks212 Member

Let's get it right shall we? They have been given notice of eviction, they haven't been evicted yet and if it goes to court that notice may be unenforceable.

Dave B

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  8. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    I understood from earlier discussions on the matter that unlike a Notice to Quit on residential property where the landlord has to go to court to get the tenant out, with commercial property its the tenant who has to go to court to contest it.

9. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

If the Plc becomes insolvent and ceases trading, then it is likely to be wound up by the many creditors and the SDRT's lease would then expire along with the company.

10. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

...but perhaps they could then get a lease for the site direct from SCC ?

BrightonBaltic, Triumph 2500S and jnc like this.
  11. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

As long as it happened before the notice to evict expires and the trust have to leave.
    What would happen, if the trust got a court to stay the eviction , and the company then went insolvent? would the eviction still be valid?

12. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

With the landlord of the sublease being a tenant itself then I imagine you have a different problem, namely the lease that allows the sublease to happen no longer exists, the company going insolvent being a completely different issue to the current eviction.

13. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

You need to separate two matters. The first is the validity of the eviction, and the actions taken by WSR plc. The second is what would happen if the WSR plc went under, and what would happen in that event. I'm not sure what would happen to a lease contract in the event that the organisation giving the lease went bust - I assume it would be a matter for the administrator to deal with and in the context of a sub-lease, might depend on the view of SCC.

jnc likes this.
  14. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Correct. Until such time as the company is wound up and the assets if any dispersed.

The SCC might be minded to carry on with the arrangement until it decided what do with the railway.

35B likes this.
  15. As 'summerof67' is a director of S&DRT I take that statement as confirmation they WILL leave Washford come what may.

No AGM report yet. Perhaps something decisive is in the pipeline.

MattA likes this.
  16. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

Hope that you find a suitable new home with freedom from toxicity.

17. martin1656

Be a sad day when that happens, but my gut feeling is that if they do leave the WSR, It will be the right move for them, as clearly the new management don't want them there, and its a decision that will come back to bite them very hard ,

MattA likes this.
  18. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

There is still the question of how a move would be paid for. Neither the PLC, which the last we heard wanted the S&DRT out, nor the Trust, which might or might not wish to leave, appears to have the cash to pay for moving the stock, let alone moving the buildings or contructing new ones.

19. martin1656

that will be one for our learned fiends i think, especially if the trust have grounds to contest this and can seek damages and costs from the WSR plc. be rather fitting, if the parting gift to the WSR plc Is a court decision in favour of the Trust, awarding them punitive damages and costs.

Dennis John Brooks likes this.
  20. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

That would be a bit of a hollow victory if the plc has nothing in the bank to pay those damages and costs from...

Keith