If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

russel 2009

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by rough-shunter, Jan 12, 2009.

http://www.russell2009.fr/donated.html
    does anyone have updates on probably the finest rebuild going on at the moment

1. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Don't say that till you see 87!

2. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Yup, no. 87... :)

3. No thanks i will stick to my large hunslet tank locos

4. whrbert

whrbert New Member

87 is looking very, very nice but you can't compair it to Russell! [-X

Russell is getting there, slowly but surely.

Mark

5. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Narrow Gauge Heaven - Porthmadog, Gwynedd
    In which case - perhaps you should rephrase your question...

"Does anyone have updates on probably the finest rebuild of a large hunslet tank loco going on at the moment..?"

Surely, Russell isn't going anywhere at present... the rebuild, however, is progressing slowly but surely...

;-)

6. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

Quite right too Jud... after all they've kept the FR afloat for the last 45 years! ;-)

7. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

I am really looking forward to seeing Russel on the Welsh Highland. I certainly won't visit the line until the FR let it out to play, ideally with a Baldwin and a couple of England's!

8. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If that's what floats your boat, r-s, who are we to knock it. However, having been fortunate enough to drive K1 in July and 143 at the end of December, I can assure you that Garratts do it at both ends at the same time! (Your girlfriend might have a problem with that)

I am, of course, not a real engineman, having only ever worn a greasetop since 1982...

Regards,

jtx

9. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
  10. i only asked a question why is there such sarcasm from a sensible question

11. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

You spelt the name wrong, it's not a good start..... but the rest is probably down to politics, you see whatever the (P) achieve, it has to be bigger and "better" at the FR.

12. TonyW

TonyW New Member

Is Russell going to appear in grey with "www.whr.co.uk" painted on the tanks, as seems the current fashion? Hope not....!

13. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    I think he will pass through a GREY phase on his way to RED? Although this may not be seen publicly?

Most recent progress report I know of on the internet is located here This was last updated in November, so there will be some more progress from what is seen here. But as Chris D discussed with myself on the phone before Christmas, there are a lot of parts machined and finished which are sat on the shelf which mean very little to most people and so are not displayed in pictures. Who wants to look at a "Union link gudgeon pin" or an "expansion link die block" etc...

I think it could be argued (while not trying to detract from work done elsewhere) that the meticulous attention to history/detail being lavished on RUSSELL is beyond that of most other loco rebuilds that have recently happened/currently happening. The hope is that RUSSELL will emerge from Gelert's Farm as close to original HUNSLET specification as is possible. There will be a few differences from it's 1906 spec, as some errors in the build at HUNSLET have been corrected.

While the old adage of "It will be finished when it is finished" stand as much here as elsewhere, there is the promise that the Loco would be ready for Easter 2009, and as I understand this is still the goal and an achievable one at that!

Equally those desperate to see it finished could dip there hand in their pocket and pass on some loose change. (See link above or my signature) or equally RUSSELL needs a train of heritage stock to pull so donate to the heritage train (See link in WHRBert's signature)

Happy new year and peace to all...

14. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    'Twas not sarcasm, old chap, merely my sense of humour and contained only mischief, not malice.

I do good sarcasm, you would notice the difference.

15. TonyW

TonyW New Member

16. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

17. triassic

triassic Member

That`s gonna be a bugger to keep clean :-k

18. triassic

triassic Member

Can`t the swear deleter on here count? The swear word I used had six letters not four. Makes me look foul mouthed 8-[