If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Rushden Transport Museum

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by s1m0nad, Feb 16, 2011.

1. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

I see from their website - http://www.rhts.co.uk/ - that the Rushden operating line has been extended. I guess this in an north easterly direction, as google street view shows the bridge next to the station (over the A5028) is missing. Does anyone know how far can the railway extend? or is the new extension the limit in that direction? Is there any chance of the bridge being reinstated, to allow expansion in the other direction?

Thanks
    Simon

2. Great Western

Great Western Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sorry to be negitive but this scheme isnt going to go anywhere really, apart from a decent musuem at the former station and a short demo line. Towards Northampton you have a missing bridge and even if that is rebuild you have a school or something on the trackbed further on. Towards Kettering you have a several houes that have gardens on the old trackbed then a large industrial area further alone.

They have really done an excellent job with the former station give them credit for that, but long term expansion in either direction really isnt going to happen. They are far to penned in by modern development.

Great Western.

3. Selsig

Selsig Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The trackbed is virtually clear over the entire length of the branchline from Wellingborough to Higham Ferrers, but there are a few major obstacles in the way - the missing bridge over the old A6 and the presence of the A14 being the two major ones. The current extension takes them towards Higham Ferrers, but the old station site there is lost, I believe a new one as close to the end of the line as possible is planned in due course. In the other direction there is nothing insurmountable, but to bridge the gap over the old A6 is going to be expensive, especially since it would almost certainly involve lowering the road to allow double decker buses to continue to pass, and bridging the A14 will probably be so costly as to be highly unlikely.

4. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    Ive visited this railway centre several times .They have a real ale bar at the station a great museum and a most friendly staff .To put in a new bridge will never happen they will never be able to raise that sort of cash .They are however extending to Higham Ferrers .If you are in the vicinity drop in and see them you wont be dissapointed Im sure.:lock1:

5. leander

leander Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    As this is my local and i spend most of my spare time there (working) it is a great place to spend time,the first part of the extension towards higham is finnished it will be opened on the weekend 9th-10th of april,the running line will be about a half mile.Towards wellingborough if a bridge is put in over the old A6 at the end of the platform it could go about 2 mile's but getting further over the A45 dual carrigeway is a big obstacle. If any body would like to join us you will be very welcome,
    we meet on wednesday evenings from 6-30 and at weekend's from 9 am