If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Replica 10000/1

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by MarkinDurham, Jun 15, 2011.

1. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

There's been some discussion on another forum as to the viability of building a replica 10000/1 - a la Tornado, but utilising a power plant, motors etc from other locos - bearing in mind much of the kit used in the 'twins' was used elsewhere by EE in their own locomotives.

Any thoughts? My own opinion is that it would be a worthwhile cause, as it 'fills the gap' in the modern traction story. Would there be enough interest? That's the big question.

Yes, yes, there's the argument about there being 'wrecks' still to restore, but I'd sooner put what cash I could into something like this - my choice and all that...

What do others think?

Mark

2. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    What a coincidence! I have just read about that as well. There is also talk about Bulleid's 10201-3 as well. It is reckoned a surviving pair of class EM2 bogies & Peak cabs & a 56 engine? would do the job for 10000. Some people say the class 15 or the co-bo should come first. Isn't there a replica class 23 (Baby Deltic) in the pipeline.

3. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

hmmm, could a replica of the bullied dieseles be done with spare class 40 bogies if there are any going?

4. Western Dreamer

Western Dreamer Member

My support for a newbuild/replica would go to an NBL type 2 (class 22:the hydraulic version), the largest (numerically) class of diesel to have escaped preservation, though that would be a much tougher proposition but in the absence of that project, I'm happy to go on supporting other projects.

5. MarkinDurham

The lack of spare hydraulic kit might be the biggest hurdle there - although may be parts available from the continent? At least with the 'twins' it's mostly EE kit, much of which is still available

6. MarkinDurham

There is a replica Baby Deltic on the way, yes. The Bulleids were basically rebodied 40's, weren't they? Or should that be the other way round? :D

As for the Co-Bo & Class 15, they're coming on nicely, I think.

7. buseng

Retired
    You could settle for the "electric" version-class 21/29. Shame 2 originals slipped through the net, D6319 scrapped by mistake after purchase & D6121 or is it 2? at Barry along with D601.

8. northernblue109

northernblue109 New Member

A replica 10000, or perhaps more correctly a 10000 look-alike, woud be a wonderful addition to the preserved traction ranks. There does indeed seems to be a family likeness between the cabs on 10000/1 and the classes 44/5/6 - but where are they going to get a couple of spare cabs from? Good luck to them, I wish the project well.

9. MarkinDurham

45015 is, apparently, about to go to locomotive Valhalla - however there does seem to be some doubt whether they're the same as on the 'twins'

10. m&gn50

m&gn50 New Member

The peak cabs would not be superficially identical but basically have same backheads and structure but with round panel beaten ends (wish that Derby 'mould' was still about!) would help kick start something many preservationists would want to see. They are not essential- a full feasibility study by a professional to give sensible costings and construction by professionals for the hard stuff along with volunteer input on 'easier' parts will be a good start. If 200 people gave £1000 a year for 5 years they might not pay the same again in tax allowance loss and 40% if they are in the higher bracket. There must be enough of us if we spread the net widely. It's of huge interest to Steamera, LMS/Derby interest, and progenitor of all things note last few class 56s have the same, but uprated PU. It could be the first and last chance to do this...

11. buseng

Retired
  12. wavey

wavey New Member

D6121 was the diesel electric Class 21 variant.

13. m&gn50

m&gn50 New Member

My thoughts were 'having a go', but with such interest and more technical input and a major project perhaps new steel is better. On the drawings I think(can't be sure) they are the same but because of the different guttering and slightly different shaped and height of windows this appearance is different. Would be worth conserving surely in case money is an issue as would save on new construction labour.

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Probably from snow ploughs.

Thing is, re 10000/1

if it's a Class 56 in a 37 frame with bogies from an EM2 ??.. is it really a "rebuild" or just a hotch potch of vaguely similar working parts ?

The baby deltic is different.. at it's heart is an original Power Unit, the Class 20 bogies are interchangeable.
    Same as if someone decieded to merge a 50 with a Deltic and make DP3.. there's a historical match.

Put differently..

If tornado was using Flying Scotsmans spare boiler, spare wheels from 4156, frame from 48518 and tender from a V2 in Doncaster.. but with a bit of welding and imagination do you have an A1 ?

15. m&gn50

m&gn50 New Member

Like a Grange and GWR 4-4-0, an NER railmotor with modern engine , English Electric not Mirlees engines D5500 or a Patriot with 'Crab' tender Jubilee rods and 8F pony wheels? Lots of standard parts here too, and all very worthy projects enjoyed by those doing them. 10000. It's very English Electric built at Derby...

16. Coboman

Coboman Member

IIRC you can buy a brand new transmission from voith....for a price, theres some correct model MAN engines in Sri Lanka, and, (and this is the big one!) I know a gent who has a full set of glass for one! LOL
    What would be prohibitively expensive for this build would be the frames, bogies, wheel sets and final drives. I recon your looking at getting on for a million to built one.
    Ken Joy tried to get project started to build a class 21 some 15 odd years ago. IIRC he managed to get some correct style bogies, an original NBL built MAN engine and some other bits together, but there just wasn't much interest financially. Real shame that, I'd have loved to have helped to build it.
    Jim

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I heard the spare power unit for kestrel exists in France, given the rest of it is very close to a 47, maybe recreating Kestrel would be a lot cheaper option.

18. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I remember seeing Kestrel when it was about to depart from Kings Cross on a service train.
    It appeared in a fantastic livery. A very smart looking diesel loco. Follow the link. <BJ>
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/21611052@N02/5335150015/

19. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

how about Falcon, made out of a couple of 47's and some western engines.....

20. MarkinDurham

If anyone is interested in joining in discussions about exploring this further, please PM me for details.

Cheers
    Mark