If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Recreations of Narrow Gauge Passenger Vehicles

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by paulhitch, Sep 23, 2009.

1. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Now the third recreated W&L Pickering carriage is on its way, what other possible candidates are there out there for replica vehicles?

Confining ourselves to the Welsh lines, here are a few:-

Firstly the Cleminson vehicles of the N.W.N.G. Rlys. These would be interesting technically but as their appearance had something of the mobile chicken shed about them, they would be unlikely to get the same rave reviews as the Pickerings.

Secondly the four wheelers of the N.W.N.G. Rlys. Small and (relatively) cheap to make but not as impressive to look at as some.

Thirdly the saloon carriage of the Plynlimon & Hafan Tramway. An attractive vehicle which, loading gauge permitting, would be able to run on either the Corris or the Talyllyn. Its appearance suggests a certain fragility.

Any more thoughts?

2. 48DL

48DL Member

The P&H coach has been done already by the Launceston Steam Railway
    I for one would like to see a replica of the FR 'Bug Box' Brake van, a Corris 4 wheeler and a NWNG Pickering brake compo

3. Selsig

Selsig Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well, I have a distinct bias towards the FR and WHR side of things so I'd suggest:

FR 21 - the only major design of Ffestiniog Railway carriage (a 7 compartment Ashbury of 1891 for those who want to know) not to survive. Both 21 and 22, its sister, amde it to preservation days, but 21 was totally kaput, and was scrapped, and 22 ran (latterly with a new, steel, chassis) until the mid 80s when it was rebodied in the style of the Barn stock, and thus has essentially also been scrapped - all that remains is the number.

WHR Pickering brake composites, one each in NWNGR full height and WHR cut down state.

Perhaps an NWNGR Ashbury / Brown Marshall brake composite

Then onto the seriously tasty stuff, how about a rake of Leek and Manifold coaches for the WLLR?

A replica of the Plynlymon and Hafan carriage runs on the Launceston Railway, incidentally.

John

4. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

A Corris 4-wheeler is on the long-term wish-list, but not until we have completed the three bogie carriages currently under construction. Something similar can be seen in the restored Pwllheli & Llanbedrog carriage.

Richard

5. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

The Plynlimon & Hafan loading gauge was much wider than the Corris and Talyllyn, so an exact replica would not be able to run on either. The Launceston replica is pretty good, although the roof is the wrong colour. An original vehicle of similar date and appearance to the P&H could be seen on the Manx Electric - as far as I know it is still extant there.

I would quite like to see a replica of the "Stanton" carriage which was rebodied into Talyllyn 16 in the 1950s - the original had an interesting history.

Richard

6. Richieboy

Richieboy New Member

For me, why stop at just the rake of coaches - what about the loco too? It may not be the most usable design for the W&L, but what a sight it would be, and popular too I would imagine. . .

Maybe in time, who knows. I know 20 years ago knowone would have believed in a full rake of Pickerings!

As for other coaches,

A rake of Ashover coaches perhaps?

The new coach the guys at Penrhyn have built, may be far simpler than a pickering for example, but certainly is a significan step in a positive direction.

All excellent.

7. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Now what about the Campbletown and Machrihanish Light Railway coaches and a loco, even along some of the old line.. OK just a dream but these were considered as some of the finest NG coaches around. But I doubt they would fit on any of the current lines.

Failing that a rake of Lynton and Barnstaple coaches should be high on the agenda as there will soon be two replica locos to haul them

8. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

There are three original Ashover carriages in existence - two in Lincs and one in Derbys.

Richard

9. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

LMS NCC stock anyone? - OK that would be a bit big!

10. meeee

meeee Member

As far as i know a sentry box brake van is on the cards once the porthole bug box is done http://www.roger-dimmick.fotopic.net/p61095684.html . Gravity passenger trains anyone :)

Personally i think replica wagons are the way forward. What about one of the beautiful FR bogie ballast wagons or a rake of wooden slate wagons.

Tim

11. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Now we have got onto the topic of Ireland, there was yet more austerely handsome Pickering equipment on the County Donegal. Those 1st./2nd. lavatory composites looked splendid

12. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    Agree. I would add a W&LLR J.L.L. Peate & Sons' private owner coal & Lime wagon.

13. Achar2001

Achar2001 New Member

Motoring and Rail Journalist and Editor
    Someone mentioned to me recently that the local authority in Campbletown was planning to improve tourism prospects and expand the local airport. Perhaps this would be the time to remind them they once had a steam railway...

Andrew Charman
    Managing Editor
    Narrow Gauge World

14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

15. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

-+Belatedly, it has struck me that obvious candidates for replica vehicles are the 6 wheeled saloons that the West Clare built "in house" for the tourist traffic. They would be able to run on a stretch of the original trackbed behind authentic motive power just as the W&LLR vehicles can.

However in view of the fact that the Irish economy seems to be suffering more than the U.K. this seems unlikely at present!

16. rusty_project

rusty_project New Member

>I would quite like to see a replica of the "Stanton" carriage which was rebodied into Talyllyn 16 in the 1950s - the original had an interesting
    > history. Richard

This was a Kerr Stuart carriage & they produced a range of similar vehicles used on various contractors/industrial railways. Being a local manufacturer, there is a loose plan to re-create/build some very similar enclosed carriages at the Moseley Railway Trust in due course (once the current projects are complete!).

Gareth

17. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Full L&B heritage rake

18. ian king

ian king New Member

19. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

20. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

Indeed - we are waiting for someone from Moseley/Apedale to come and collect the bogie frames from the original to use on the replica. They are already much-travelled - after leaving the Talyllyn they went to the L&B before arriving at Corris.

Richard