If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Recent comment re: 90775

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 37255, Jul 9, 2009.

1. 37255

37255 Guest

It appears that a recent comment posted by myself has caused a fair amount of offense to those involved with the loco, so I suppose I should take this opportunity to explain it. Whilst many locomotives are run down to some extent towards the end of their boiler certificates, 90775 seemed to me to suffer more from this than many others. This is purely from personal experience with no hard evidence, and on reflection I don't have enough experience with WDs to know how many of its more obvious faults were commonplace within the class. To post the comment on a public forum was, I admit, unhelpful and unnecessary, and I apologise for any offense caused.

As a gesture of goodwill, I shall be making a donation towards the cost of the overhaul in the near future.

2. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I dont think it was your tounge in cheek comment that would cause offence - I saw the funny side! It was the other comment that would cause offence (good call by the mods to pull it IMO). Without desending this into another locked topic I will say this. Earlier in the 90775 topic I was talking about the firebox. According to the article i referred to in Steam Railway the owners of the time spent over 4000 man hours on the firebox alone - That alone suggests that they wouldn't cut corners. If there are indeed issues then I wouldn't post them on here you are doing your railway no favours and I doubt they would thank you for it. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) [-X [-X [-X :-# :-# :-#

3. Columbine

Columbine Member

Personally I feel that if there are issues that a NP member wishes to express then they should express them. Self censorship is not a good idea. The way those opinions are expressed is important, but the opinions themselves should be expressed, but expressed in such a way that it is clear that it is not the intention to cause offence. If anybody should take offence then it is their problem not the person who made the original posting.

Regards