If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Railways of GB updates (Photos,Audio,Video)

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Alberta 45562, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi All,

I will be using this thread to post updates for the website I am compiling,namely railwaysofgb.com.

The idea of RofGB in a number of months/years will be to have it as one of THE best places for railway photography,videos and audio,as I type I am editing/listening to 76079 blasting (and slipping!) up the 1 in 50 to Talerddig in 2002. It's things like this and photos/videos that I shall be uploading,right from 1960 to the present day that I hope will draw enthusiasts from all around the world to see what we have in Britain!

Currently images are taken from a small number of photographers but it is likely this may grow,however it will never become too large,the idea is to keep the website for "the best",not necessarily quality (audio/video mainly) but "those" performances that everyone who has either been on the tours/at galas/at the lineside remembers,as well as those that one may not remember quite so readily. Put in short,I plan for RofGB to be the place to go!

I must thank before I link the latest collections,the contributors,without whom the site would be completely impossible,it's thanks to them that it exists in the first place!

It must be noted that as the site is very much a work in progress you will often come across blank pages,to find the pages with the "good stuff" on you will be better placed following links that I post here :)

Latest updates:

Steam photography January-March 2015
    The winter of 2015,featuring the Winter Cumbrian Mountain Express trains worked by 46233 'Duchess of Sutherland' and the return of the "Tin Bath" tour hauled by 44871 and 45407. 62712 'Morayshire' also made an appearance at the Nene Valley Railway whilst a "Branch Line" event took place on the South Devon Railway.

This period's images come from:
    Gordon Edgar
    Mark Fielding
    Oli Goodman
    Nigel Pitt
    Mark Walker

Highlights from this period include:

• 45407 on the WCME
    • 46233 on the WCME
    • Branch Line gala at the South Devon Railway
    • 62712 'Morayshire' at the Nene Valley Railway
    • 44871 and 45407 on the Tin Bath railtour.

http://www.railwaysofgb.com/january-march8.html

Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. Alberta 45562

http://www.railwaysofgb.com/76079-defeats-talerddig.html

This audio file reminds us of a climb we would all no doubt love to see steam tackle again. That is the climb of Talerddig between Shrewsbury and Machynlleth,with gradients as steep as 1 in 50 on the northbound climb,and tight curves in steep sided cuttings it really is a challenge for any loco and crew. This was never more apparent than on 10th March 2002,in driving wind and rain when BR Std Class 4 No.76079 tackled Talerddig unassisted with an 8 coach train. The loco would slip on the lower half of the climb as it passed over a road crossing,but once it regained it's feet it actually managed to accelerate towards the summit.

The driver for this immense climb was Ray Poole,then of Bescot depot and the recording,as always was by John Tait

Recorded by John Tait
    Header Image by Gordon Edgar

Enjoy!

Mark

http://www.railwaysofgb.com/76079-defeats-talerddig.html

3. Alberta 45562

New page added 22-02-15:

Steam photography January-March 2015
    The winter of 2015,featuring the Winter Cumbrian Mountain Express trains worked by 46233 'Duchess of Sutherland' and the return of the "Tin Bath" tour hauled by 44871 and 45407. 62712 'Morayshire' also made an appearance at the Nene Valley Railway whilst a "Branch Line" event took place on the South Devon Railway.

This period's images come from:
    Gordon Edgar
    Mark Fielding
    Oli Goodman
    Nigel Pitt
    Mark Walker

Highlights from this period include:

• 45407 on the WCME
    • 46233 on the WCME
    • Branch Line gala at the South Devon Railway
    • 62712 'Morayshire' at the Nene Valley Railway
    • 44871 and 45407 on the Tin Bath railtour.

http://www.railwaysofgb.com/january-march8.html

Comments welcome!

Cheers,
    Mark