If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

QJ's in the USA

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by 46118, Oct 26, 2008.

1. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Just came across a youtube video of double-headed QJ's on a freight in Iowa, USA. I recall that two (or more?) QJ's were imported into the USA, possibly straight from the production line when they were still being built in China a few years ago.

Can anyone fill in the detail of where they are kept and how often they are steamed?

(Did do a site search but nothing came up)

Thanks

2. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  4. jinty182

jinty182 New Member

Student at Thornleigh Salesian College
    Mmm it does spoil it.
    I loved that first video though, plenty of noise :p

5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    :-k All that whistle blowing though it does tend to become an irritation...

6. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There are three QJ's in the US that I am aware of. The two in Iowa, which were bought for an exersize in find out if there was a market for such locos for "heritage" operations. There are avaliable for hire or even perchase but no one has bitting in 32 months. They have operated three times in that time for testing, once as a special excursion to celebrate their arrival which included a thripple header with a native 4-8-4 and recently on a frieght charter to raise funds for a good cause - I forget which.

The thrid was bought last year by an indervidual who has made her operational and made a few adjustments, such as removing the elephant ears and painting a large red strip allong the running board to advertise his interests and to ocasionally by used on the frieght trains he runs.

There are three of four other Chinease engine in the US but they are 2-8-2s. Some Su's on torist lines that look very americal without being in china rail colours and converted to right hand drive. But there is a JS on the Boone Scenic Railroad that also runs a few times a year and is still in full China rail get up and is in fact used as a marketing point.

I agree, but there are specific whistle codes that have to be used in the US, in particulat two long a short and a long for EVERY level crossing the train passes, and some are very close together. They do tend to play more when fans are watching though.

7. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

The three QJs are ex Daban, Ji-Tong Rly. The other engines are SYs (not SU - aren't they Russian 2-6-2s?) and a JS all of which I believe were built for the US. I also believe one was lost at sea enroute and a replacement had to be built.

8. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Quite so on both counts. Memory blip. The Boon Scenic engine is most definatly a JS, however.

9. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

You said SU not SY!

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

.......'happy' memories of staying at a motel near New Orleans airport with the KCS mainline backing onto the premesis - there were three or four level crossings and the trains ran all night ......

11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I'm sat in a hotel by newark airport writing this listening to some SD60's whistling their way through the yard as I speak.