If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Push-Pull Working

Discussion in 'Railway Operations M.I.C' started by Rumpole, May 21, 2008.

1. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Quick query for those on lines that operate auto/push-pull services.

When in 'push' mode, are these now operated with two people (ie: a fireman and passed fireman/driver) on the loco as well as the driver in the coach end? I guess regulations, loss of operational grandfather rights, training issues etc mean that the loco can no longer be operated single manned, but if I'm wrong correction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. gz3xzf

gz3xzf Member

Retired
    Nick

I don't know how other railways do it now, the last time I was rostered to drive on the auto train at Didcot we still only had a fireman and a driver; I think it was stipulated that both had to be more senior staff (i.e. not just passed). It was the fireman's responsibility to "make the brake" and notch-up if required (and of course complete the fireman's duties as well). At each end the driver would change ends whilst the fireman connected or disconnected the regulator actuating rod. I have often thought it would be fun to go further than the 400 yards at Didcot.

3. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    I think a lot depends on what a lot of railways rule books, and more crucially, insurance stipulates.
    Didcot may get away with just two men on because they have always done it, or at least for a good many years (excluding when 1466 has been out for overhaul)

4. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Llangollen have 1 driver in the auto-coach and one driver in the cab of the loco to operate reverser and create vacuum.

Then there is also the fireman plus a cleaner who deal with the firing duties.

5. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    ...but I assume that is because they are not being paid to be there, and are doing it cos they want to?

6. Flying Fiver

Flying Fiver Member

...but I assume that is because they are not being paid to be there, and are doing it cos they want to?[/quote:dmyz0zre]

We have two drivers or a driver, passed fireman and fireman/passed cleaner and sometimes a cleaner so there is always a driver/passed fireman in the loco cab responsible for the brake/notching up/hydrostatic etc leaving the fireman/passed cleaner free to attend to their usual duties

7. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

The sdr only has the fireman on the footplate with the driver in the coach! Cleaners are not allowed to travel on the footplate in auto mode either! Also the fireman and driver has to be passed for autoworking!

8. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    The Auto Train at SS & S 2 last Saturday only had a driver at the front & another driver single-manning the pannier - probably due to the roster being a bit stretched !

Bob.