If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Possible reopening of the Wye Valley Railway.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by wyevalleychap, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wyevalleychap

wyevalleychap New Member

Good evening ladies and gents. As a chap with a staunch interest in this little branchline that used to stretch from Chepstow to Monmouth via the Wye Valley, it seemed a good idea to gauge what possible interest there might be for a rebuild and relaying of the line. ( at least part of the way to begin with at least.

Basically having walked the route of this track a few times I have mulled the idea over once or twice but never really given it any proper thought. However since finishing university and also discovering that there are plans afoot to turn the length of it into a cycletrack courtesy of Sustrans, I thought that it would be a shame to not at least try to get some form of ball rolling.

To be honest to let this potentially beautiful line by flattened, grubbed up and turned to rubber tyres rather than the steel variety would be crying shame.

Thank you for reading (I'll be quiet now, bit epic for a second post....)

Cheers!

Edward

2. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Possible reopening of the Wye Valley Railway

What a superb preserved line it would make, although the Dean Forest Railway probably wouldn't be too happy.
    Hopefully a new government will consign quangos such as Sustrans to the scrapheap where they belong.

Bob.

3. wyevalleychap

wyevalleychap New Member

I have a feeling that it could either way on the DFR front. I seem to remember reading an article regarding an earlier attempt that came to nothing, that the DFR would quite happily lend rolling stock to help get up and running. I shall try and find said article pronto.

Edward

4. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

A lovely idea, I would love to see the Wye Valley line running again but it would not be easy.
    The section from the junction with the SWML at Tidenham to the Quarries, whilst it has (?) track, would need relaying, certainly re-sleepering. There never was a station at the junction, so one would need to be built unless you were planning to run over the mainline into Chepstow.
    Given a few million it should be feasible to do this and extend as far as Tintern to a new station on the opposite side of the river to the Abbey and Village. If you wanted to go any further then the mega millions would be needed for new bridges etc.

5. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Lovely idea - but a bit late!

Sustrans have already had the section from the A48 northwards (still with track on it) conveyed to them for a measly sum (£1?) by BRB/the Government. They have planning applications submitted (not sure how far they have got) for the cycleway & plans to reinstate Tintern river Wye bridge with a light structure for cyclists. North of Tintern the A466 covers sections of the trackbed where the valley is narrow. Further on there are other problems so that the best you would manage even with loads of finance would be a short isolated stretch.

6. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Being quite local to this lovely area, my immediate reaction was "missing river bridges", and that was without knowing that Sustrans were involved.

Also, any new Heritage lines started in the UK would tend of necessity to have to use diesels and modern coaching stock. Not sure how attractive that would be. There is plenty of comment on other topics on this website about Heritage lines and the shortage of suitable steam motive power.

Remember also that the Lottery is concentrating on the Olympics, and as DC says, "years of austerity" in prospect....

Sorry to be negative, I rather think of it as being realistic .

7. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

I don't know if quangos were invented by a Thatcher government, but they sure created a lot of them in the 80s and 90s. Labour also found them a convenient way to get policy executed with nominal consultation, but little publicity and hence little debate. Do you really think that a Cameron government will be any different?

8. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I suppose if you had access to the millions that it would need to reinstate the line, then another couple of million for some newbuild 14XX and 64XX would not be much of a problem ....
    Being local; do you remember a 'campaign' by someone in the area, about 15 years ago or so, to have the Wye Valley, Monmouth-Ross and Gloucester-Hereford lines rebuilt and electrified?

9. 46118

No Martin, I dont remember that proposal, but I am only a "closet" Herefordian, my roots lie further North in Midland territory.
    There is still on the table an aspiration to see the Leominster- Kington Railway re-opened, an idea that I would support if it ever became a serious proposition because it might just relieve parts of Hereford of the daily grind of Tarmac lorries in convoy from the quarries at Kington to the railhead at Moreton on Lugg. Good riddance if that traffic went onto rail actually at the quarry!

10. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Slip just one million to the planning committee and you'ld be amazed at what you can do.
    Allegedly.

11. tamper

tamper Member

retired
    Just wondering if I am the only one on here to have traveled the Leominster-Kington and on to New Radnor line?

Aka 'Bromyard Boy/Leominster Lad. Actually 'Little Common Docklow'.

12. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

A little off topic and further up the Wye still, I often wonder what an amazing heritage railway the old Mid Wales railway would've made. Running from Three Cocks jnc (on the Hay & Brecon railway), it took in Erwood, Buith Wells, Rhayader (for Elan Valley) and on through Llanidloes to join up with the surviving Cambrian line near Caersws-running up the the very spine of mid Wales.. Even today you can still pick out the trackbed hugging the upper Wye and running through the spectacular Marteg valley north of Rhayader and heading up through the hills around St. Harmon. A lot of the trackbed has been built on (you can drive on it at Erwood where the station is open as visitor centre) and many of the station sites have had houses built on them, but i'm sure a steam railway around here would be the ideal tourist attraction that the area needs badly! Incidently, the old tunnels at Rhayader and Gilfach in the Marteg valley are now important roosting sites for bats and form part of the Radnorshire Wildlife Trust's collection of reserves, still providing a useful role 40 odd years on.

13. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Three-Cocks Junction to Moat Lane. When I first read the title this is the part of the line that I was thinking about. There are some wonderful views in that area but I guess one issue would be with potential passenger numbers and volunteers. I think another issue may be that there are lots of good little bits but each has a specific obstacle to overcome (buildings on the formation, missing bridges etc) to make a viable journey.

It would be great to have an opinion from someone with more recent knowledge as my last exploration of the trackbed goes back about 15 years.

14. 46118

Indeed, whilst it is lovely scenary, it is an area rather remote from major centres of population, which affects both volunteer numbers and potential passenger numbers.

15. acorb

Certainly a lot of serious obstructions to the trackbed now with (off the top of my head) roads occupying the trackbed at Erwood and towards Aberedw, buildings on the site of Newbridge and Builth Wells stations and a large bridge removed at Rhayader to name just one. Unfortunately, unless a significant section could be rebuilt it would never be viable for the reasons that have been suggested so this wonderful line will continue to disapppear back to nature. As I mentioned previously the trackbed is still accessible in many locations and I recommend to anyone a walk along the line from the site of Marteg halt (north of Rhayder) onto the Gilfach nature reserve and you can easily imagine locomotives doing battle with the steep climb to St.Harmon in the spectacular valley here.

16. acorb

Upper Wye Railway

Attatched is a picture of the the old trackbed running through the Marteg Valley on the Gilfach wildlife reserve. It can be clearly seen just above the river. It the crosses the river on a bridge (second picture) before plunging into Marteg tunnel which isn't accessible, although both portals can be seen. If you drive to the visitor centre on the reserve the road uses another old railway bridge just north of the tunnel to reach the centre. The spectacular scenery is clear to all and is a favourite spot of ours to view Red Kites rather than steam locos these days!

Attached Files:

17. ianh

ianh Member

Farmer -
    A friend of ours farms between the tunnel and St Harmon.. stunning location. if not slightly off topic

ian h

18. D1039

D1039 Guest

Sustrans is a Charity, and not a quango.

Not my favourite organisation, regardless. Keeping it on thread, Sustrans do co-operate with some private railways.

No, quangos had been around for many years. She abolished many quangos on coming to office, but IIRC there were more when she left than when she started.

I think it was her government, however, that introduced ‘next step agencies’ removing such bodies as the DVLC from direct control to arm’s length agencies (and in many cases from questions on the floor of the house to the Sec of State).

If you’ve accusations to make, make them.

Patrick

19. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Alan,

Thanks for those pictures. I agree it's a gorgeous place. I must get round to another visit. Alas I feel that really is one lost back to nature. Still it's nice to dream.

20. acorb

Glad you enjoyed them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.