If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

[Photoplug] Science Museum store, Wroughton

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by wcmlbls1846, Sep 17, 2015.

1. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

Like most museums the Science Museum in South Kensington has more exhibits than space to display them.

Surplus exhibits are stored at a former RAF airfield about ten miles south of Swindon where a number of hangars survive. Also stored there are objects from other museums in the Science Museum Group (Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester and the National Media Museum, Bradford, as well as a few from the NRM).

Exhibits include several aircraft, including a Lockheed Constellation, as well as a range of motor vehicles.

The store is not open to the public; the photos in this album were taken during a private visit.

https://andrewstransport.smugmug.com/Aviation/Science-Museum-store-Wroughton/

Cheers

Andrew N

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    They used to have open days at Wroughton. Went to one many years ago. Do they not happen any more?

3. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

I went for a visit a few years back with my Dad when he was researching the use of a Boeing 247D for radar work in the war and had a good nose over N18E. It was quite a strange experience all those lovely exhibits sat there more or less setup for display but with no visitors. I wonder what the viability would be for Wroughton to be opened up as a proper museum or do other activities at Wroughton preclude this?

4. springers

springers Member

Now retired,used to be at sea and later worked in
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I seem to recollect reading on another forum ( Aviation ? ) that there are Health and Safety issues due to the condition of some of the Hangars which prohibit opening the site to the public.I also went to an open day about 30 years ago and was amazed at what they had in store.The Constellation was a freight conversion (possibly for racehorses) which had been dumped at Dublin Airport.I was Mate of the freight ferry (MV Tipperary) which transported it from Dublin to Fleetwood.
    Colin.

5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I found the whole story of the B247 and the autoland development utterly fascinating; an example of Allied ingenuity at its finest.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10025924/Flight-Lieutenant-Lennard-Barber.html
    Raise a glass to F/Lt Barber and his colleagues when your next flight lands in bad weather :)

6. GeoffS75

GeoffS75 Member

*shameless plug alert*

Martin, if you haven't read it already (and I am getting deja vu here so you may well have done) feel free to check out Dad's book which has the full story. He is on the third print run now which I think will be the last but there are still copies available http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Secret-Boeing-Bob-Shaw/dp/0954704517

7. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

No need; I bought it a couple of years ago, thoroughly enjoyed it and can heartily recommend it to anyone with an interest in aviation.

GeoffS75 likes this.
  8. cg

cg Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the link to the photos, I had visited Wroughton during an open day.