If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

{Photoplug} RPSI centre, Whitehead, Ulster Transport Museum, South Clare railtour etc

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by wcmlbls1846, Jun 3, 2012.

1. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

I have uploaded several photo albums taken during a visit to Ireland last month.

One album records a visit to the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland centre
    at Whitehead, Co Antrim where their fleet includes three 4-4-0s. The RPSI also
    carry out contract work for other organisations. Locos receiving attention were
    three foot gauge County Donegal No 5 Drumboe, and a broad gauge Orenstein &
    Koppel 0-4-0T.

Another album records what proved to be the ill fated South Clare railtour.
    (This was the RPSI's annual three day tour.) It was due to be worked by newly
    overhauled Dublin & South Eastern inside cylinder 2-6-0 No 461. But it had
    problems the previous weekend on another railtour, so RPSI, rightly in my view,
    decided to use Great Southern & Western 0-6-0 No 186. However, it is quite a
    small engine and could not have kept to times drawn up for No 461, so a diesel
    was used on part of the tour. No 461 was used on the final day, but ran warm
    and the tour had to be terminated at Dundalk.

Two more albums (one broad gauge, one narrow) record visits to Cultra in 2009,
    updated in 2012. Another records a visit to Cork to see the 1847 2-2-2 built by
    Bury for the GSWR.

Older albums record the RPSI's Comeragh and Carrowbeg railtours in 2009.

All the albums can be seen here:

andrewstransport's Photos : Irish trains | SmugMug

I hope you enjoy them

Andrew N

2. northernblue109

northernblue109 New Member

Re: {Photoplug} RPSI centre, Whitehead, Ulster Transport Museum, South Clare railtour

An interesting collection, thank you. I especially appreciated the informative captions.