If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

[Photoplug] Riot of early steam, Manchester 2005

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by wcmlbls1846, Mar 5, 2012.

1. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

In 2005 the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry held a 'Riot of Steam' to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the opening of the Liverpool & Manchester Rly, the world's first inter-city railway.

It was attended by modern replicas of three locos which took part in the Rainhill trials held by the L & M in 1829 - Novelty, Sans Pareil and the Stephensons' victorious Rocket. All three were in steam, as was the replica of Planet built by the Stephensons for the L & M in 1830.

Also present, but not in steam, was the original L & M 0-4-2 Lion built in 1838.

Here are 46 photos of the event. I have included a shot of the original Rocket preserved in the Science Museum in London, and photos of the locos on permanent display in the Manchester museum. They were all built in or near Manchester, and range from tiny Isle of Man 2-4-0T Pender (sectioned) to a mighty South African GL Garratt (3ft 6in gauge, 211 tons!).

Manchester Museum of Science & Industry, 2005 - andrewstransport's Photos

Cheers for now

Andrew N

2. noelist

noelist Member

LGV C+E(FormerlyHGVClass1) Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks Andrew, great set of pics, but best is one of the other sets, it finally cleared up what happened to FR20s sister engine, I wonder if that saddle tank with 68009 on will end up on it.

Cheers.