If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Photo Query - Help Required Please

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Shoddy127, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've been contacted by a lady asking for some more information on the following photograph which has her grandfather in it, he is the gent sat at the front with his legs crossed.

She is after some information as to where the photo was possibly taken and why so any help gratefully appreciated.

[​IMG]

Regards
    Ian

2. William Shelford

William Shelford Member

I think that the locomotive is London & South Western Railway, No.149. This was a "330" class 0-6-0ST built in 1882 by Beyer, Peacock & Co (to one of there standard designs). It was renumbered 0149 (in the L&SWR duplicate list) in 1911 and was withdrawn by the Southern Railway (as E0149 ?) in 1930, despite having been reboilered in 1924.

The photograh is therefore taken somewhere on the London & South Western Railway, between 1882 and 1911.

There were twenty locomotives in the "330" class, the most well known of which was No.335 (L&SWR classs were not numbered on block) which became Kent & East Sussex Railway, No.4 in 1932, when it was swapped in exchange for "Hecate".