If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Perrygrove Gala 28th June

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by basher, Jun 15, 2009.

1. basher

basher Member

Musician
    I notice from their website (www.perrygrove.co.uk) that the Perrygrove Railway are holding a Steam Gala next Sunday, 28th June. Does anyone have any more information on this, or is anyone planning on going?

Having been to their enthusiast days in the past (combined with the Alan Keef Open Day), then it looks like it could be good! =D>

2. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

Re: Katie (Perrygrove Gala 28th June)

From the Perrygrove website -

"Katie was built by Sir Arthur as the first locomotive for the Eaton Hall railway. Many parts from the original are being used to rebuild her at Ravenglass."

I thought the only remaining original part was the frame, which survived at Fairbourne for many years after the loco was broken up - at one time it had been used as a wagon, but by the time I knew it in the 1960s it was devoid of any running gear. Can anyone clarify ?

Richard

3. meeee

meeee Member

I believe the rebuild uses the original frames and other surviving small components from katie and the other heywood engines for example the spectacle brasses off Ursula .

Tim

4. D1059

D1059 Member

5. D1059

D1059 Member

6. basher

basher Member

Musician
    Looks like you had a good afternoon out!

Was it just the two locomotives in steam, one on each train? It looked a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon, in dappled sunlight between the trees.

Did they do the traditional 'end of day' double-header, as they do for the Keef Open Days? =D>

7. D1059

D1059 Member

Yes, very enjoyable - there were 3 locos in steam, Spirit of Adventure, Ursula and Lydia. Didn't stay till the end (we had our nephew with us and had to get him back home) so don't know if they double headed any trains.

STEVE