If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Pembroke Coast Express 31-Aug-14

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by gwr4090, Aug 22, 2014.

1. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Now apparently steam hauled throughout by 5029 from Bristol to Pembroke Dock and return. 5029 will run tender first from Carmarthen to Pembroke Dock. I guess this is operationally more convenient at Carmarthen where it is sometimes difficult to find a gap between service trains to get the engine onto the train after servicing. There will presumably also be a diesel in the consist, although I am not certain of this. The train is fully booked.

David

2. Standard 4MT

Standard 4MT Member

Photographer/IT MCSE/NYMR/ex Police/&Train Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There must be a Diesel on this as Tenby is the nearest passing loop, the platforms, so when the train arrives at Pembrke Dock there is just the single track with no run round and quiet a desolate destination not being at the harbour, indeed some way away. If running tender first to the docks it will also mean correct way round on its return, except at rear of train until it can be either shunted round either at Carmarthen or some other loop or twin track section. Will be interested to see how they plan the return trip, diesel on the front to Pembroke would be a better idea IMO.

Hope everything runs ok, planned stopovers at Tenby don't always occur properly as at least one train has been to long to keep in platform, meaning section becomes out of use with nothing able to pass. But lessons have been learnt since then, for those not knowing the area, I would alight at Tenby as something to do at this location whether the great three beaches and harbour to the medieval town walls surrounding the narrow streets, and town. Many Pubs, Cafés and restaurants abound, as well as some different types of shops as well as the usual resort type gift shops etc.

Whatever, I sincerely hope everyone enjoys this trip and their day out.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  3. Midland Red

Midland Red New Member

About 4 years ago 6024 went to Pembroke Dock (worked by DBS). At Carmarthen a 66 was attached to rear of train and the whole ensemble dragged backwards to Pembroke Dock station (well, platform). Return starts with a very steep climb (1/70?) which includes in about 200 yards the first of a series of 'stop and proceed' road crossings. Return layover at Tenby and 66 dropped off at Port Talbot.

Hope a good trip for all.

4. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
  5. Standard 4MT

Standard 4MT Member

Photographer/IT MCSE/NYMR/ex Police/&Train Manager
    Yes I am an active volunteer

As said earlier thought a Diesel on one end would be only way to go, have to photograph it on the way back.

6. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    As long as it's just ticking over. There shall be no issue with it tagging along.

7. free2grice

'Nunney Castle' departed BTM 56 mins late for Carmarthen. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I stood in cloudy conditions at Stapleton Road for an hour and then the sun appeared 5 minutes before the train came into view.
    .....very lucky.

I understand that Nunney Castle was at Barton Hill depot but was blocked in by a Voyager unit.
    How inconsiderate. Parking in Bristol is abysmal. :)

Obviously the diesel was pushing hard approaching Horfield bank but that's not surprising given the circumstances.

The train has now departed from Newport just 32 minutes late after a reduction in time at the station. <BJ>

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    Walter B likes this.
  8. LMarsh1987

TBC
    A late running Castle, due to reason's in the above post. But with the lengthy delay, it allowed the sun to come out at Severn Tunnel Junction, and made for a nice scene.

9. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

My video of the tour here

maureen likes this.
  10. maureen

maureen Member

A brilliant trip yesterday with Nunney Castle with Ray Churchill in charge, as a member mentioned above we were 56 minutes late leaving Bristol due to a Cross Country unit being parked in 5029's way and it took some time for them to find a driver to move it, it appears that the train was terminated at Bristol instead of going on to Plymouth on Saturday evening, anyhow we made up the time by minimising the pick up time and water stop and some really brilliant running and we arrived in Carmarthen early! and we arrived back into Bristol a few minutes early, a really wonderful and enjoyable day and the weather was warm and sunny too.

11. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Not quite the 47 minutes early behind 71000 back in 2008 on a trip to Milford Haven, then. Didn't see Sunday's trip as I was driving back to York, but the one impressive thing was the tender-first running. Quite surprised at that, as its a rare event on the Pembrokeshire branches.

12. The Crimson Pirate

The Crimson Pirate Member

The train was pulled by a diesel from Carmarthen to Pembroke Dock with 5029 on the rear, so it didn't haul the train tender first to Pembroke Dock.

13. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

It would make a nice change, for a future tour, if steam could haul the outward journey direct to Pembroke Dock then diesel haul back to Carmarthen.

14. maureen

maureen Member

Don't really think that would be possible as the steam would be on the wrong end of the train, it would mean having to run around at Carmarthen and run tender first, all the way, no crews like working steam on the mainline tender first, and as Ray Churchill is the only steam man to sign for that particular route I know he would not be happy at all about that. Anyhow it would mean swapping locos around at Carmarthen and on the return we don't come back into Carmarthen we turn off at Carmarthen Jn and return via Crockett Bank and Landore . Think the only way it can really work successfully is the way it worked.

15. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

Okay, I was just wondering whether it was possible to miss out the servicing call, at Carmarthen, on the way out and do it on the return instead?
    That would allow the steam loco to run smokebox first to Pembroke (if that's a practical arrangement).

16. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    A lot of it is probably down to when ATW require the platforms at Carmarthen. Its probably easier to turn the loco at Carmarthen East and West Junctions in the early-mid afternoon than after 16:00, which is around the time these trips head back through. Seeing as there was no tender first operation, I'm pleased to say that having done that particular trip before, I haven't missed much. Have done all three Pembrokeshire branches by steam (not including the Trecwn or oil refinery branches), and have other bits of the network demanding my attention.

17. LMarsh1987

TBC
    More trespassing this time, on the Pembroke Coast Express. Skip to 2.44 for enthusiasts, who are well off the end of platform with back to traffic. There also seem's to be a station attendant standing nearby, who seem's blissfully unaware.

18. free2grice

We're all aware that trespass on the railways takes place. It makes it all the worse that people trespass on the railways to obtain a better view of the steam train or a preferable photograph. Quite often the trespass is not by enthusiasts but by the general public who by chance happen to be near the railway when they learn that a steam charter is about to pass through.
    What I am not so sure about is highlighting the problem on websites such as National-Preservation. In my opinion it has the possibility of handing the authorities the ammunition they need to ban steam from the main line. Heaven forbid.
    I appreciate that trespass on our railways is a subject that is very close to our hearts but this is just my humble opinion. <BJ>

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    5098, EltonRoad and Swiss Toni like this.
  19. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Problem is highlighting the issue on Nat Pres, your effectively preaching to the converted, the people you need to tell are not to be found here in general.