If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

P.S Lincoln Castle

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by mulligatawny, Aug 5, 2010.

1. mulligatawny

mulligatawny New Member

I'm surprised not to see any mention of this on the forum. It's been a bit of a hot potato recently at least locally in Grimsby.

The demolition squad have moved in and although there's alot of folk up in arms it looks like full and final demolition will be unstoppable.

It's sad - I went on the P.S with my Dad quite often 40 odd years ago and it brings back fond but distant memories.

2. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

Im not suprised, she was advertised on the net for at least 6 months and no one bought her.

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sad times - I had a trip on one of the ferries back in the early '70's, can't remember which one, but myself and my mate from the KWVR plus a couple of local lovelies drove over to Hull. We parked the girls in a dockside pub and then proceeded to spend a couple of hours on board, mainly down in the engine room marvelling at the triple expansion engine and heaving the black stuff. Surprisingly the girls were still there on our return too ;)

4. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

It was discussed a little in this thread http://railways.national-preservation.com/showthread.php/18242-PS-Ryde/page9

5. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    It is a great shame - but £1.5m is a show stopper for any voluntary body. And remember - that is not renovation work - merely the cost of making her safe to float. For operation youneed to think £10m or so.

The nascent LCPS have worked wonders finding the deposit needed by the council to underwrite the demolition risk inherent in any change of ownership - but that is a long way short of the cost needed to stabilise her - and that may be why the owning family have called time and are proceeding with demolition.

Why in the UK are we so bad at ship preservation??? Manxman and Lincoln Castle should not be in the danger that they are - but no-one seems to have the will or the finance to stop it.

6. stan the man

stan the man Member

Pity the owning family thought the vessel was safe enough to sell a few months ago and even offer to the PSPS (ha ha ha) free of charge but now feel she has to be broken up.
    I just hope they get the bad press they deserve and the scrapping really causes uproar.

They certainly get my vote for the recipitant of this months turd in a box trophy.

Jim S

7. Guest

Occasional
    And just why does the epithet "Ha Ha Ha" deserve to be applied to the PSPS?

It may not be perfect - but preservation and operation of Kingswear Castle, Waverley, and Balmoral - with which I am currently actively assisting in the North East, promoting the preservation of the Maid of the Loch, plus everything else that the PSPS does is leagues ahead of anything that anyone else has achieved.

We don't have multi millions of pounds lying about for every project - indeed any million of pounds come to that, so the fact that prioritisation has to be applied is a simple hard fact of life.

The Licoln was going to cost £1.5m to lift out of the water where she sat. The society could not resource that - there was only one decision that could be taken

8. stan the man

stan the man Member

Hi Frank,

PSPS offered the Lincoln Castle for nought.

PSPS turned down offer without even making an appeal to try and raise funds to save her or indeed do anything to help.

Lincoln Castle now being scrapped!

Very dissapointing outcome by the PSPS

9. taliesin1999

taliesin1999 New Member

The PSPS did invite pledges of support and cash from the membership - I think it was the lack of local resource from within the membership, plus the apparent rescue plan by a local businessman that led to the decision.

The Lincoln Castle, Ryde and, most of all, Manxman, are tragic lost opportunities but why on earth knock the PSPS? Where would active steam preservation be without Waverley and KC? I look upon myself as primarily a railway enthusiast (my moniker should give that away) but in my opinion keeping Waverley in steam for 35 years is the ultimate preservation miracle; there's no parking it at the end of a siding when it needs repairs!

Peter Hayward

10. Guest

Occasional
    Peter is absolutely correct - an appeal to estimate the likely result of fund raising was undertaken. It did not give optimistic results

An apology would be in order

p s

Absolutely excellent evening cruise tonight from Sunderland and out of Hartlepool

11. stan the man

stan the man Member

It must have been a very quiet appeal then as normally when the PSPS are asking for cash I get to hear about out (and yes, I do stick my hand in my pocket).

Facts is facts and I feel they could have done more before swiftly and quietly saying no thanks.

How can a society that promotes the Preservation Of Paddle Steamers turn way so easily???

Jim s

12. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Maybe the vast majority of posters on here are not aware of the sheer cost of anything nautical. Add the word marine on any part and at least another zero goes on the end of the price. Being a boat owner for a few years has taught me never to understimate the cost of even the most simple operation. When you are talking about a large boat the costs are exponential. Just an example. New rudder for a 15' sailing dinghy (Flying 15) 210 Euros. New rudder for an Etap 28' sailing boat, 2950 Euros.

13. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer

Stan, two members have already offered you answers to that question. I suggest you contact the PSPS direct if you want more.

14. stan the man

stan the man Member

I was hoping to hear other opinions after all this is a discussion forum.

Jim S

15. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Can't help thinking that you may do better on one of the shipping forums?

16. taliesin1999

taliesin1999 New Member

Perhaps Stan the Man could actually join the PSPS as he is clearly so passionate about preserving paddle steamers - he would then hear about their appeals to members.

And, yes I am a member (for 30 years) and I did make a pledge to the Lincoln Castle appeal.

Supporters with long memories will also remember the PSPS getting their fingers burned trying to help the Ryde nearly 20 years ago.

Peter Hayward

17. stan the man

stan the man Member

Im sorry I left the PSPS some time ago due another issue I did not agree with but I am are kept up to date by a close friend who is very closely and actively involved in the PSPS (I will say no more).

I do however still continue to support PS Waverley.

KJS

18. Guest

Occasional
    Perhaps Stan "The Man" could tell us how - if he was faced with having to make the decision, armed with the consultants reports obtained by the PSPS, and not having £1.5m - but still having four other ships plus other responsibilities, and the personal liabilities that any charity trustee takes on when they sign up - how he would have conjured up the means to make some other decision.

Come on Stan - you have had your say - now show us your way.

19. stan the man

stan the man Member

Looking at the latest website update it appears that only intervention by the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society will save the ship from destruction.

Lets hope the PSPS take another look at try and work with the Lincoln Castle Preservtion Society to try and secure this vessels future.

Jim S

20. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Which website Stan? Can you post a link please ?