If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

ORR Consultaion document on Mk.1 coaches

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Steve, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've not seen this mentioned anywhere. Apologies if it has.
    https://www.orr.gov.uk/search-consu...e-application-railway-safety-regulations-1999
    There are obvious implications for the charter market and the NYMR operations over the Esk Valley line

2392 likes this.
  2. D1039

D1039 Guest

A long time ago on a different thread:

I presume the NYMR would stay withing the 40 kph threshold for CDLs. How many charter sets are without CDL?

As for Mk 1s at all speeds the ORR has been tightening up on crash pillars for a while.

Patrick

3. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    The NYMR does run to Battersby on occasion and line speed is 45mph. They have to run at that speed to keep clear of Northern trains.

2392 and D1039 like this.
  4. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

An interesting document Steve. It's quite understandable too considering the original regs. came out twenty years ago, to take a new look at the situation. Looking at the original regs., I'd been thinking on and off how difficult/complicated would it be to retro fit central locking, especially these days twenty years on, when you look at the amount of work involved in the overhaul/restoration on MK1s as well as any older pre-MK1 stock. Just looking at the C & W on the Moors the bodywork is on some MK1s is pretty well totally removed in places [especially the ends]. I got to think as there's already wire runs for the lighting, surely any wiring for central locking could be incorporated out of sight with the lighting wiring....... Fitting the locks out of sight though could be problematic on the external doors.

Granted you'd need a rolling program to retro fit any such locking system to your fleet. Thankfully though the new regs. do appear to offer an exemption, by negotiation if you are making the required mods/upgrades, especially if you put your cards on the table and show you have a plan, complete with an approved locking system.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  5. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Is there any possibility, in the future, that these measures will be extended to heritage operations on lines operating at 25 mph and under?

6. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

I don't think so yet Bryan. Though at the moment with this being a "Consultation" things are/can be fluid, depending on the collective response. Whilst perhaps frustrating the original regs have been round for twenty years, so it's understandable they are having a revue now twenty years on.....

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    southyorkshireman likes this.
  7. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  8. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

How significant is all this for steam on the main line? Are we talking about thousands per Mk 1?

9. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

Adding the CDL wiring to the lighting runs depends on the coach. TSOs would be fairly easy as the wiring runs tend to be down the opposite side to the pull chord. Compartment and Brakes would require ceilings to come down. When you get to that point you may as well re wire the coach, if it hasnt already been done.

The Swanage approach with the plate off the door and using the stepboard is probably the easiest and cheaper solution.

The cost then depends on how many doors you have per coach for each unit. The cost of the wiring, fitting and the labour.

10. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Thanks. How about the structural modifications, crash pillars etc?

11. steam_mad

steam_mad Member

I think most mainline operators have known this has been coming for a while and have been able to plan works to allow completion before the current exemptions expire.

The SRPS fleet, for example, is currently being put through a major 'top half' overhaul which includes a full crash pillar inspection (and repair if necessary), removing the middle door on TSOs/FOs and general repairs. Toilet retention tanks are also to fitted imminently.

The aim is to have the entire set of 12/13 complete by the start of 2023, but given the work is not cheap that will depend on how the pandemic continues to alter income from what we would normally expect!

johnofwessex and 30567 like this.
  12. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

The crash pillars, corner post and door post should be inspected/ repaired or completely replaced in an overhaul.
    The one area that Ive seen on heritage railways that is seriously lacking is knowledge and condition of door locks, door jambs.

Sawdust likes this.
  13. RichardBrum

RichardBrum Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Updated guidance has been issued;
    https://www.orr.gov.uk/search-consu...e-application-railway-safety-regulations-1999