If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Old Railway Magazines.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 45669, Jul 7, 2009.

1. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Evening All,

With a move of house in the offing, I have to make a start on clearing out the loft. And, up there, are several boxes of old railway magazines, some of which go back to the 1960s.

I'm sure that I shall never have time to read them again, much as I would like to. So I am wondering whether there are any heritage railways that might like them for sale in their fund raising shops.

Get in touch if you are interested.

2. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Old magazines are not worth the trouble at the moment. Best use is for recycling.
    We were donated a car load going back in full years of various titles to 1925. Railway World, Magazine, Model Engineer and the like.
    Anything later than 1955 was not even looked at.
    Sold a few years worth pre 1945 and most of the remainder went to Vintage carriages at Ingrow KWVR

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

If it is "Railway Magazine" or "Railway World" theyve never really been worth anything, except the really old ones (Before 50's).
    Trains Illustrated is worth a bit.
    Apart from a select very few magazines (Back Track, Locomotives Illustrated..) anything since the 1960's isnt really worth anything.. (Maybe 10p-£1.00), but as mentioned before most societies have bootfulls of them.. still it might be worth dropping them by a railway or society.. let them separate the wheat from the chaff... how many preserved railways have paper recycling these days .. then they would benefit one way or the other ?
    Failing that.. there's always the firebox.

4. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The VCT at Ingrow (very local for me fortunately) are the gurus as far as old magazines are concerned. I'm afraid that unless an organisation has the manpower to sort them into order/title/year etc then they are likely to sit there unsold. If you need a back issue then the VCT is the place to go. The Magazine Room is clear, tidy and well sorted - a credit to those who keep it so!

I'm afraid relatively recent 'standard' titles are not really much use except for recycling. Books are a different matter and I speak as the Middleton Railway second hand book pricer in chief on that! The 'St Michael book of trains' and such are best going to your favourite local charity (which may or may not be a railway!)