If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

? O&K RL1/MM Cadeby, Moseley, "P.Bridon, Sheffield", confusion...

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Tu2, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Tu2

Tu2 New Member

Hi,
    Some questions about this link:
    http://www.team-triplet.com/TTSite/2005Cadeby05.htm

The green O&K is stated as works number 3444. But according to my records the 3444 is a O&K type RL 1 owned since 10/1979 by "P.Bridon, Sheffield". Does anyone know something about this loco/this collection?
    According to my records the green O&K ex Cadeby is works number 4588 type MM. Can anyone prove this? Is this machine today part of the Moseley Railway Trust?
    And the same question for the Deutz MLH322 works number 10050 ex Cadeby, where is this machine today?

Thanks!
    Philipp

2. BT803

BT803 New Member

I would suggest you update your records!!!
    O&K 3444 was sold in 2001 to a member at Cadeby and removed in 2002 (if my memory is correct), and the green machine in the photos is the exact same loco. The O&K has subsequently moved to Apedale when Cadeby was closed several years ago.

Regards

Andrew

3. kscanes

kscanes Resident of Nat Pres

That's at Moseley Railway Trust, Apedale, too.

4. Seraphim

Seraphim New Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    As the owner of the O&K being referred to, I can't help but chip in. As usual, Ken is quite correct. The MM petrol O&K 4588 is also at Apedale. By the way, the evidence to suggest that the RL1 is actually works number 3444 is rather sparse, which is why it's always listed as "?3444". Blatant advert time - do come down to Apedale and have a look at them in their new home. Check www.mrt.org.uk for the full story.

5. Tu2

Tu2 New Member

Thanks a lot for the extra information!
    I can complete the history to:

3444/1929 RL1
    delivered 22.03.1929 to England - The Rugby Group, Eastwoods Cement Ltd., Barrington Works, Cambs. [GB] /09.1979 A. J. Keef, Oxon /10.1979 P. Bridon, Sheffield / 2001 Cadeby Light Railway, Cadeby / 2005 Moseley Railway Trust - Apedale Valley Light Railway, Chesterton

The problem about the number is that the '3444' is listed as a 'RL1' ( the first type without radiator and with one unsprung axle). But the green loco is rather a 'RL1a' with a short frame.

Regards
    Philipp