If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NYMR what locos are at Pickering?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by PhotoMatt, Nov 13, 2009.

1. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    Following the removal of bridge 30, does anyone know what locos are at the Pickering end of the line to cover the Pickering-Goathland services?

2. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Info on the nymr forum indicates light loco moves for November from Grosmont are happening for the Pickering - Goathland services using one from 76079 or 30926, with diesel assistance from D7628 and DMU 101680 also working.

HTH

3. PhotoMatt

IT Engineer
    Thanks for the info.

Anymore detail on "diesel assistance"... don't mind if it's on the back!

Can any also confirm where the teak stock ended up?

Apologies for all the qeustions, but thinking of venturing north for some phots on Sunday but I'm not too keen on a diesel double heading a BR steam engine on teaks!

No offence if you're into that, but I'm hoping for something authentic.

4. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

I thought I had read somewhere that running round at Goathland would not be possible due to the gradient through the station, so maybe top and tail it is?

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It is top'n'tail with the steam loco planned to be on the south end of the train and the diesel on the north end. At the moment, light engine movements are being permitted over the bridge and will continue until preparatory work for the big lift reaches the point where it is no longer possible.
    Have a look at: http://www.nymr.co.uk/tv/goathland-station/ for the latest NYMR TV news.

6. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    The set being used is the Moorlander set i.e. the Pullmans plus 3 Mark 1s on the back, because there are lunch trains each day. To avoid the diners (and everyone else) having to exit the train at Goathland while it propelled to the south of Cowath Bridge for run round, the current method of working is steam loco on the south end and diesel on the north. For 76079 and 30926, this means smokebox first. Theses two and 45212 are the pool of locos penciled in.

At the moment, light engines are still able to run over the bridge at weekends while preparatory work is underway. During the week, track in the area of the bridge is being renewed, regraded and realigned. The actual lift of the old beams will be undertaken by the Volker Rail crane in early January and then the new beams go in. The railway will be completely severed from just before the old beams are removed (the track needs to be moved to the centre of the formation for the lift) until after the new beams are in and conrete decking units placed on top of them. Then ballast and track will then be laid.

As soon as I have one or two final details, I will be starting a new thread describing how the work is planned to be done.

Steven

7. PhotoMatt

IT Engineer
    Thanks Steven, I look forward to hearing how the project develops.

8. 46118

Steven: A couple of questions, and apologies if this is covered in the two articles that have appeared in the last two issues of "Moors Line", but I just cannot put my hands on my copies at the moment.
    -Will some work be undertaken at the base of the abutment that has the beck water running against it, ie to ensure the foundations are, and will be in the future, secure?
    -Will the abutments themselves have any work on them, ie regrouting, tieing back into the embankment, etc? I recall reading that one of the abutments had water seaping through it from the trackbed, and one wall was moving slightly.
    Presumably the two "slots" cut into the abutments to take the later-added vertical girder will be filled with new masonry?

Thanks

9. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Firstly, it was 30926 doing the steam honours today - I would imagine will be also tomorrow.

46118 queries

Don't think there is a problem on the North Side from the beck. There is a big crack on one of the abutments which will be dealt with and I believe one side needs "stitching" to the embankment but they are basically sound. The new girders will need a wider but shallower "seat" in the abutments, so the masonary aound the old girder will be duly altered. The "seat" will also extend furthwer back into the embankment because the new girders will form a "square" box despite the squew nature of the bridge, i.e. at each end one girder will extend further into the abutment/embankment than the other. This provides a square sitting for the bridge and removes any twisting from the passage of trains.

I learn today that a job before the end of the year is to temporarily reinstate double track north of the bridge! This is because the Volker Rail crane needs to be on the old Up formation for the lift but the running line is the old Down line. A piece of track will be put in for the crane and then a short section slewed to connect it up for the crane's use in early January.

BTW what sort of interest would there be in a special DVD about the renewal? The idea has been suggested but there is concern those interested could be limited in number.

Steven

10. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    I'd purchase the DVD provided the footage was to a higher standard than that I discussed on the NYMR forum. It would be quite interesting and I'm sure plenty more would buy given the correct marketing.

11. 46118

Thanks Steven, most interesting.

Do any photos exist as yet of the fabrication of the new bridge?

12. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Would be very interested in a DVD about bridge 30, but perhaps to give a broader appeal, could it easily include footage of events from 2009, like the steam, diesel etc galas? Just a thought incase it was thought of as a engineering documentary??

Best Regards

13. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    There are enough DVDs around about the regular events, so to me it should warrant a dedicated DVD of its own.
    Especially as this is a rare event in preservation circles.
    Railway engineering film is in short supply and any contribution to the stock available would be of benefit to all. Try and find anything not released by Fastline Films or BTF and you will see what I mean.

14. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Sorry for going OT but when is the roof going on at Pickering?

15. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I'm very much in agreement. The whole Bridge 30 project is a fascinating story, and this has to include its early history when the roots of many of the problems that we are now facing were sown. The problems that have are having to be overcome are quite something and the various alternatives that have been considered are worthy of recounting.
    As an engineering documentary it may have a limited audience but, given the right scripting and narration, it can become a documentary of universal appeal.