If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NYMR goes west gala 26 - 28 September 2014

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 47406, Jun 22, 2014.

1. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Announced yesterday at the AGM;

It is:
    5029 Nunney Castle
    5322 GWR Mogul
    2807 2-8-0

A "Swindon" weekend, with the normal timetable and also featuring 75029 is being considered in addition to the Gala, and there will also be photo charters etc.

All subject to availability.

2. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Really would like to go to this, should be a brilliant display of GW power. Especially looking forward to 5322..........

Chris

3. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

I think it might be a good idea to dispense earplugs in Grosmont! I'm looking forward to seeing a GWR 2-8-0 having to work! We all know 5029 and 5322 can put on a show.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  4. Andy B

Andy B Member

2807 will put on a good show, doing what she was designed for. she was out and about this weekend after having axlebox and horn guides sorted at Tyseley loco works sounding spot on.

5. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

A Castle ranks very high on the list of locos I'd like to hear on the Moors! (Just below an 8F ;-) )

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  6. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

I've heard 5029 on the Moors before years ago. About 1999? Someone will know. Second loudest engine I've ever heard on the 1 in 49. The loudest was Dame Vera Lynn.

Robert Heath No.6 likes this.
  7. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Goes without saying! (Although I'd imagine Antwerp wasn't quiet in its day?)

8. WishIHadAName

WishIHadAName New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    What is the normal timetable? Never been to the Moors for a gala. Can I expect freight and do the trains run late? Any idea whats out from the home fleet?

9. Drysdale

Drysdale Guest

Roughly hourly service, should be a shuttle, probably won't run late and homefleet anything that might be serviceable. To be honest their galas over the past couple of years really have tended to be their gold timetable featuring some guest locos and some diesels.

10. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Freights do often run during the Gala but there is frequently a Freight Photo Charter in the early mornings.

Drysdale likes this.
  11. Drysdale

Drysdale Guest

For an additional fee.

12. WishIHadAName

WishIHadAName New Member

Bit of a shame for a big league railway not to do more. Still intending to go mind. Dont suppose anyone can recomend a campsite with a few pubs or a cheap B &B/hotel with twin rooms. Seen the campsite at Goathland but theirs only one pub and with evening trains your a bit stuck.

13. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    As has been commented, the timetable is roughly hourly - unfortunately, the middle section between Goathland and Levisham means through trains can't be anymore frequent.

At the Spring Gala, we experimented with all line goods workings, passenger locals, both part and all line and running the Pullman diner non-stop. We also did runs from Whitby to Battersby, although this can only work now I believe if topped and tailed (to be able to turn round in unit type times at Battersby - a run round there is good exercise for the guard - and some of us need it!) and one loco in those circumstances needs to be diesel in order to permit water being taken (the column at Grosmont can be used form the branch but only has sufficient capacity for 1 tender loco to fill up). Whether Battersby trains are planned for September is yet to be confirmed (it will be the first Gala with the new platform in use at Whitby, all being well!

The timetable isn't yet set in stone but the "Fight for Vera" Fund are hoping to do Pie, Pea and Ale trains again and these will probably run on the Friday opposite the evening Pullman (which is likely to have non-dining seating on the rear). I suspect we won't be trying quite as many trains as on the Spring Friday but still into the evening.

I am not sure which Goathland camp site you have looked at, but there are actually 3 pubs in Goathland plus the famous Birch Hall Inn at Beck Hole (which is probably nearer the centre of Goathland than the pub at the Pickering end of the village - or certainly not much further). The Goathland Hotel (Aidensfield Arms) does reasonable B & B (depending on your definition of reasonable prices!) but I would suggest trying to book up as soon as you can. The evening diner on the Gala Friday is a Pickering Pullman, so that means an extra working back from Pickering to Grosmont which may be available for non-dining passengers.

Home fleet will be, as said, "as available". It should be 44806, 45428, 60007, 61264, 63395, 75029, 76079 and Lambton No.29 plus the guests by then. Not all will be used every day so as to ensure what is used, especially the guests, get a reasonable amount of use.

Steven

14. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Hope it is, always the highlight of a NYMR Gala personally! Would 5029 be permitted to Whitby, or will it be restricted to NYMR section during the gala? Seem to remember there some tight curves going into Whitby.

15. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Presumably it is in gauge for the EVL if it is coming by rail, so it could run Grosmont-Battersby but perhaps not into Whitby. It has been common enough practice to do this with other engines such as 60007 in the past.

lil Bear likes this.
  16. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    http://www.nymr.co.uk/2014/07/2014-autumn-steam-gala/

The Great Western Railway Locomotives come to the NYMR Autumn Steam Gala 26 – 28 September 2014

This September visitors to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) will be looking to the west as locomotives from the Great Western Railway (GWR) line up as the star attractions at this year’s Autumn Steam Gala.

Over the three day gala, the NYMR are delighted to welcome 43xx 2-6-0 No 5322 ‘Mogul’ and 28xx 2-8-0 No 2807 ‘Heavy freight’ and celebrating its 80th birthday in 2014 ‘Castle’ 4-6-0 No 5029 Nunney Castle.

The ‘Castles’ were first introduced in 1923, and from then until the end of steam were the GWR’s primary express passenger locomotives – 171 being built in total. 5029 ‘Nunney Castle’ is a 4 cylinder 4-6-0 to the design of Charles Collett and was built at Swindon Works in 1934 and takes the name of Nunney Castle which is located near Frome, Somerset.

During the first day of the World War II Evacuations, 5029 hauled trains carrying children being taken from London to the safety of the countryside and later in its service in October 1957 was used to haul the Royal Train from London to Gloucester.

5029 is one of eight locomotives of this class that were saved from the scrap man’s torch for preservation. It is certified for operation on Network Rail and has recently run to Plymouth as part of commemorations of the ‘City of Truro’s record 100mph run 110 years ago.

Philip Benham, managing director said “Never before have we had such a line-up of GWR power in Yorkshire and we are planning to put on a spectacular show bringing locomotives to the NYMR that have never before worked our line with 2807 and 5322 paying the first visit of their class to a heritage railway this far north. 5029 once visited NYMR some time ago and we are delighted to see it return to really show us what it can do.”

Alongside the three guest locomotives the NYMR’s very own 75029 engine ‘Green Knight’ will be the fourth Swindon built locomotive to support the Steam Gala. Plus fellow home fleet favourites such as Class A4 Pacific No 60007and LH&JC 0-6-2T No. 29 to name just two. With over 11 locomotives lined up to run over the 3 day extravaganza this is one gala not to be missed.

If all that wasn’t enough there will be trade stands at NYMR stations, steam runs along the Esk Valley line from Whitby and Grosmont to Battersby Station, Scarborough & District Railway Modellers will be displaying a model railway exhibition in the Learning Centre at Pickering Station on Platform 2 and Chris Vine has just confirmed that he will be attending conducting book signings and with the possibility of bringing his working 7 ¼ gauge LNER B1 loco Bongo.

Guest Locomotives

‘Castle’ 4-6-0 No 5029 Nunney Castle
    43xx 2-6-0 No 5322 (Mogul) worked in France between 1917 – 1919 for the war effort in the Railway Operating Department
    28xx 2-8-0 No 2807 (Heavy freight)

Home Locomotives

Class A4 Pacific No 60007
    Standard Class 4 4-6-0 No. 75029 ‘Green Knight’
    Thompson B1 4-6-0 No 61264
    LMS Class 5 No 44806
    Stanier Black Five Class 5MT 4-6-0 45428 ‘Eric Treacy’
    63395 LNER 2238 3395, Ex NER/LNER/BR Class Q6 0-8-0 freight engine
    BR Standard Class 4 Number 76079
    LH&JC 0-6-2T No. 29

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  17. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    80135 working right on the limit was a deafening experience.

18. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Does anyone know what the status of 5322 is, following the premature end of its visit to Bodmin?

19. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Under repair at Didcot according to GWS society website.
    Whether a retube or less no idea, also as to when expected to be completed.
    NYMR paying to/from Didcot including extraction/import costs to the loading point? Bodmin gala loco now tba on their website.

Unless a retube I'm fearing another N7/47406 scenario.

lil Bear likes this.
  20. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Any more news on Battersby operations for the Gala?