If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NVR WINTER STEAM GALA 23RD & 24TH FEBRUARY 2013 (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by NVRLOCOSUPER, Feb 1, 2013.

1. NVRLOCOSUPER

NVRLOCOSUPER New Member

Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th February 2013

Join the NVR in a celebration of Steam at our Winter Steam Gala, lots of steam action for all the family

VISITING STAR ATTRACTIONS

No 70000 BRITANNIA

GWR 2-6-2 No 4141

Resident Locomotives in action

Midland 4F No 44422

Austerity No 22

Hudswell Clarke No 1800

LMS Steam Crane

Freight Train

Freight Handling Demonstrations at Wanford

Steam Heated Trains

Brake Van Rides

Travel on "The Hook Continental" in our Wagon-Lits Liveried Coaches, with Continental Buffet Car

Trade Stands

Battle of Britan Locomotive Society

The Patriot Project

Wansford Cafe open for hot meals/drinks

Wansford Gift Shop open all weekend

Tours of the Locomotive shed and see the progress of the restoration of No. 34081 92 Squadron

SHED TOURS

Shed Tours of NVR Locomotive and Carriage and Wagon Sheds will commence from the outside the Station Masters Office on Platform 2

Guided Tours are available of the NVR Locomotive Sheds at Wansford. These will take about one hour and are limited to 12 persons for Health & Safety reasons.

10.00 (LS), 11.00 (C&W),1200 (LS), 1400 (C&W) and 1500 (LS), 1600 (C&W), 1700 (LS)
    (A walking route will be followed although the Loco yard will be out of bounds)

There is no charge but donations are welcome.
    (LS Locomotive Shed)(C&W Carriage & Wagon Shed)

Fletton Branch Brake Van rides at the NVR Winter Gala

The NVR is pleased to confirm that Brake Van rides will be available at the Winter Steam Gala on 23rd and 24th February 2013.
    For the first time you can ride the Fletton Branch, this is the part of the NVR that joins the main line with Network Rail, be the first to take the chance to ride this part of the line that is rarely used for passenger travel
    Take this rare opportunity to ride on a Brake Van hauled by Steam at the Steam Gala, Brake van rides will operate on the Fletton Branch from Orton Mere to Fletton Junction

Please note this is a supplement to the fares for train travel at the gala, to ride on the main services a further ticket must be purchased
    Tickets are very limited for this event, and all persons must be aged over 16.

Advanced Booking is required for the Brake Van rides
    Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th February 2013
    10:40
    11:35
    13:00
    13:50
    14:35
    All Departures are form Orton Mere only
    Bookings taken from Tuesday 5th February

Attached Files:

2. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

Planning on coming for the Sunday but can't see a chance to ride behind 1800 or 22 (unless I do the brake van rides). 73050 disapeared too. Shame, but seems odd.

4. NVRLOCOSUPER

NVRLOCOSUPER New Member

NVR WINTER STEAM GALA 23RD & 24TH FEBRUARY 2013 (UPDATED)

1800 is working the freight demonstrations at Wansford and No 22 is working the Fletton Branch brake van rides, 73050 is currently out of service awaiting contracted parts to be returned before entering service, unfortunately this will not be in time for the gala

GWR No 4141 has arrived today ahead of the gala

5. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

Re: NVR WINTER STEAM GALA 23RD & 24TH FEBRUARY 2013 (UPDATED)

Thanks for the update, shame that the grown ups don't get the chance to ride behind 1800 though! ;-)

6. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Re: NVR WINTER STEAM GALA 23RD & 24TH FEBRUARY 2013 (UPDATED)

BRITANNIA arrived yesterday and a friend of mine went to Wansford and took a couple of pictures. I have now put one of them on my Flickr site :

[​IMG]
    RD7788. 70000 Britannia at Wansford. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

7. george.sawdon

george.sawdon New Member

Volunteer at Kirklees Light Railway
    Think most people on here will be going to the East Lancs and Churnet Valley Galas as they clash with this one. I chose to come to this ond though. Hoping i can get a discount as i work at Kirklees Light Railway.

8. B17 61606

B17 61606 Member

Possibly... although those railways are about 150 and 100 miles away respectively, so I wouldn't have thought they'd have too much of an impact on this event? The gala preparations sound very interesting, can't wait to come and have a look and be reacquainted with Britannia - the first time I've seen it in steam since it ran alongside 71000 on the Liverpool St. line in about 1991, and the first time I've seen it at all since about 1999!

9. george.sawdon

george.sawdon New Member

Volunteer at Kirklees Light Railway
    You're right it's been busier than i expected despite the weather, disspointing for me i'm afraid but operational incidents happpen. I'm suprised no one has mentioned Brittanias derailment on the points when she ran round at Yarwell Junction earlier. I with many other passengers were stuck for nearly 2 hours when the Hudswell Clarke aka Thomas the Tank engine came to the rescue with two spare coaches.

10. Joey

Joey New Member

Technical Officer, Network Rail
    Do we know why it derailed yet? And how long it took to get back on the rails?

11. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Can't really answer either of those, but I hear it is back at Wansford having been re-railed. Been given the all clear, so it looks like it was just a minor incident.

James at SVN

12. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Blooming cold at Wansford today but everyone was cheerful and some were in a spending mood - good for 34081's funds. :) Well done to the NVR for putting on a show in spite of what happened yesterday. Here's a clip of 4141. My first ever video with my new DSLR and first ever upload to YouTube. Be gentle with me. :)

[video=youtube;xqA-vxROFmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqA-vxROFmM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

13. cksteam

cksteam New Member

Heeres my shots from the weekend. I hope its the first of many Winter Gala's at the NVR. they certainly know how to put on a show and did well to get through the problems with 'Brittania' on Saturday. A big well done to all involved.

Chris Kempster Photography | NVR Winter Steam Gala