If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NRM Workshop

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by gwr4090, Feb 1, 2014.

1. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    There is a suggestion in the latest issue of Raildate that the workshop at NRM York is about to be closed down. Can anyone confirm this ? Presumably maintenance and repairs will in future be done by outside contractors.

2. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Reads ......

NRM NEWS

Following on from last week's article about the withdrawal of support from the NRM for York University's Institute of Railway Studies & Transport History, Raildate understands that the NRM is shutting down its workshop on 14th February. If this is the case, one wonders how it will be able maintain its collection - presumably this will be achieved by contracting out to private companies. How that can be cheaper than doing it yourself, is anyone's guess. Having found nothing about this on the Internet, the Editor would be pleased to receive any confirmation.

More certain is this from Paul Kirkman, Director of the NRM:

"As many of you are aware, as part of the current programme of cuts and cost savings, we have to make changes to the hours and ways in which Search Engine operates. From 17 March 2014, Search Engine will be open to the public 4 days a week, from Wednesday to Saturday.

"These are decisions that have not been taken lightly. Everyone involved in the service has worked extremely hard to make Search Engine the world class research facility that it is but, unfortunately, economic necessity means that we can no longer afford to have a library and archive service open 7 days a week. However, the essential mission of Search Engine – to provide top quality access to the NRM’s archive and library collections – has not changed."

3. Chris W

Chris W New Member

From what I have heard on the grapevine there have been quite a few redundencies on the NRM's workshop team but they haven't got rid of everyone. It looks like the NRM won't be doing much more with the working locos but will be keeping a small team to look after the static collection. I don't think the NRM will ever run its own locos again but you'll probably see more arrangements with outside groups like with the prototype HST and TVR 28.

4. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Its all part of the having to cut costs i would assume, but what happens now when items need conserving? or cleaning if they are going on display after a period in store? will this mean the friends of the NRM having a more active role?

5. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You could say that we live in interesting times ! but given the news above, the implied lack of funding means ?????????

6. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

that most if not all future restoration work will either be done by contractors or by voluenteers ? that york will rely on unpaid staff more often than not, how this will effect the visitor experience , i guess time will tell.

7. JWKB

JWKB Member

But havent nearly all past NRM projects been externally funded? Green Arrow, Super D, 04 all funded by magazine appeal or private indivuals.