If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Northampton and Lamport Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Great Western, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Great Western

Great Western Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Does anyone know if there are any plans to resume work on the extension towards Northampton this year?

Work seems to plough along then grind to a halt about 6 months ago, the website hasnt been updated for some time either.

Great Western.

2. Peckett 2104

Peckett 2104 New Member

Mobile Operations Manager
    Great Western,

Work hasn't quite ground to a halt. The extension team have been doing a lot of behind the scenes work along with some winter maintenance around the rest of the railway. Most of the line side vegetation has been cleared on the existing line. They have started fitting out the inside of Boughton box, the lever frame is now in and things should start to be connected up fairly soon. Another signal is due to be going up in the very near future. When time permits the foundations will be going in for the new platform. We can then lay the loop which has deliberately been held off to give us better access to the station footings.

We did have some more up to date pics on fotopic but ill try and get them updated on our website. The team working on the extension is quite small and are doing a great job considering there is only normally five of them. We are hoping, all things going smoothly to have the demonstration freight train going to Boughton on the branch line gala. Obviously no promises but we will see what happens.

The track theft we had a while ago set us back quite a bit but the extension is slowly recovering. Were quite a small group with only about 20 working members so things take a bit longer than on some railways as during the running season most people are needed just to keep the trains running.

Adam

3. Great Western

Great Western Member

Excellent news, I was worried that the theift you guys suffered had really damaged your hard efforts over the last few years.

Great to hear that the platform will be started soon also!.

Are the three? sidings north of the box going to be additional storage? I heard something ago that Jarvis/Fastline were leasing some of them, but with their own problems and shutting down I assume this isnt happening anymore.

Great Western.

4. Peckett 2104

Peckett 2104 New Member

There will be two sidings north of the box. The issue with using them for storage is the local vandals. We are looking at the possibility of a shed at the far north end for carriage restoration and storage, but this is at the very early planning stage. Along with the loop there will be a bay platform at the south end to allow a vehicle to be used as a temporary booking office along with a short engine road next to the running line head shunt. If I can find a copy of the proposed plans then ill post it when I get a chance. As far as leasing and space no one has asked.

5. Great Western

Great Western Member

When we drove past yesterday I noticed that the 2nd signal post is up and in place.
    Looked like work was taking place in the signal box also?

Great Western.

6. Peckett 2104

Peckett 2104 New Member

Thats right its the new loop starting signal, it went up a couple of weeks ago. Will be up there tomorrow so ill try and get some up to date photos for posting.

Adam

7. David Millard

David Millard New Member

The Boughton loop & main starter signals have got their arms etc now - 1 starter and 1 subsidary per pole; plus a second coat of paint has been applied & they look great.

8. David Millard

David Millard New Member

Just a quick update, recent work has seen the Boughton Crossing station platform foundations being poured, new track parts ordered and work inside Boughton signal box in preparation of the final fitting out.
    At the moment we need volunteers to help out and donations for the ballasting

9. N&LR_Webmaster

N&LR_Webmaster New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Oct 2013 update - work is continuing away from the railway to refurbish the parts for the S&T as funds permit.
    The team of 5 people (yes only 5) have been diverted onto other tasks for most of the summer.
    Fitting of refurbished parts happens when sufficient parts are ready to fit in such a way that the light fingers do not remove them.