If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

No NRM loans for 2 years?

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by williamfj2, Jun 2, 2010.

1. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

In the new Railway Magazine on page 6 there is a small bit saying that the NRM will almost certainly be letting locos out on loans for 2 years because of the effort required on the NRM+ project. When I read that I had to remind myself that it wasn't April 1st. Where does this leave locos on hire to lines like 63601 on the GCR, 49395 on the NYMR, 3440 on the GWR and the other locos?

2. ovbulleid

ovbulleid Member

i sit behind my computer clicking on 'view active
    Is that there will be no loans for LESS than 2 years, or MORE than 2 years? If the former it will be to guarentee a return on the investment put into their restoration, if the latter it will be to ensure engines get around more. And with the engines you've mentioned, I would suspect they have written contracts that would not be affected by a change in the rules

3. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Current loans are to continue, new loans will not be entered into - UNLESS they are linked into helping us deliver NRM+. And panic not, any of you who have asked and are awaiting responses, it's not as bad as it may sound - and we may come knocking on your door... It is mainly smaller items that are affected, they require just as much paperwork as the big stuff.

4. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think the article means that the NRM will be looking for homes for many of the locos at present in the Great Hall at York for 2 years, whilst the redevelopment at the NRM takes place. I am sure Anthony will clarify the situation.

5. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    I suspect that it means they will be offering 2 year loans of rolling stock items so that they have the physical space at the NRM to carry out the refurbishment project.

Regards,

Dan

6. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

IIRC in the RM it mentions December 2012.

7. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The 'Stop Press' item in 'The Railway Magazine' says that: "Requests for locomotives from the National Collection to appear at public events outside York are likely to be rejected for the next two years.... we will not be able to take forward any new loan requests for exhibitions or events until December 2012 "

I take it to meant that this is about short-term loans/visits rather than the long-term loans.

Regards,
    John Webb

8. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    As I read the item it was to state that for 2 years [ from now ] there will be no further loans of NRM rolling stock although items currently on hire will operate as per the agreement(s). The reason given is lack of resources to operate and monitor the loans given the current workload of the NRM.