If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New grants for community and heritage railways

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Christopher125, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

New £1 million competition to boost rail tourism

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-1-million-competition-to-boost-rail-tourism

A £1 million competition to encourage more visitors to travel by rail to see hidden gems across the UK is today (1 March 2016) launched by the Department for Transport.

The competition will offer grants to rail operators for innovative ideas and trials and is aimed particularly at heritage railways and community rail partnerships. It hopes to encourage more tourists and make it easier to explore the UK by rail.

The competition is expected to generate around 20 winners, who will receive grants ranging from £25,000 to £75,000 to develop their ideas.

Projects could include:
    • improving the connectivity of heritage and community rail
    • improved disability access
    • special ticketing offers
    • better cycle facilities at stations

David R likes this.
  2. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Quite ironic that the DfT want to encourage tourists to travel by rail in the heritage sector at the same time the ORR has felt it had no option but to suspend the UK's major charter operator.

3. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think the DfT would like tourists to travel *safely*.