If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New Build support coaches

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by class8mikado, Oct 14, 2010.

1. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    There has already been a thread which descended into acrimony about how support coaches look, which is now locked. Taken as read that they have to go as close to the Loco as possible its good to see that Oliver Cromwells support coach looks the bogs dollocks, even though as a MkII this is not strictly accurate (i reckon they came off the same pen as the BR1 Tender) Tornado is already in the process of making their own 'to Match' support coach so at least Loco only shots wont be spoiled...

Given the popularity of Apple Green(!) for the Likes of Flying Scotsman and (in the dim and distant) a P2', B17 ? and others:
    How feasible ( ie expensive) would it to Build (Re- or New) a Gresley Teak to accepted mainline running standard ?
    are the original Bogies acceptable ? would it be possible to teak clad a new steel body ? subframe ?

I suspect its a 6 figure sum, can anyone advise ?

2. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Easiest cheap fix would be to mount a Mark One body onto Gresley bogies . The body could have an imitation teak finish as per the early Thompson coaches.

Bob.

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Are Gresley bogies roller bearing fitted?

4. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Not originally, but a version was used under many EMU classes and many of those were, so Roller Bearing "Gresley" bogies do exist.

Steven

5. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

................... and are in use under VSOE Pullmans.

6. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

Quote: Tornado is already in the process of making their own 'to Match' support coach so at least Loco only shots wont be spoiled...

Not so. Tornado's support coach is a standard BR Mk1 BCK, no 21249. However, they are in the process of a complete and total refurbishment from the wheels up. Everything that could come off, has come off, right down to the battery boxes and pipework. I know I had done a fair bit of work when I owned it, but they are really doing the job properly, something that can only be done in a decent workshop under cover. When finished, the coach should be 'as new' with the amount of work done.

The following links to their 'gallery' pages show the amount of work done.

http://www.a1steam.com/index.php?op...th-the-support-coach&catid=55:2010&Itemid=234

http://www.a1steam.com/index.php?op...on-the-support-coach&catid=55:2010&Itemid=234

http://www.a1steam.com/index.php?op...support-coach-update&catid=55:2010&Itemid=234

To the A1 lads, youre doing well, keep up the good work!

Frank Nicholas

(former owner of 21249)

7. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Thanks Frank, your work and that of the Hopetown crew deserves a bit of airtime, Dont see how this is a 'not so', your missing my point. Everything you say is correct, they are in the process of (re) building a Mk1, but are they not also painting their BR Mk1 in early BR (Blood and Custard) 'to match' their early BR Apple green Loco ?
    And it will look very nice, but not as nice as a teak would with LNER apple green (though this would be a little at odds with the rest of the train for most railtour work)..

Perhaps its time those hard working support crews got what they deserved and all support coaches should be Pullmans...