If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Nene Valley Railway - Fletton Branch

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by s1m0nad, Mar 15, 2012.

1. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

I see from the NVR website that they are intending to purchase the Fletton branch from BRB (Residuary) Nene Valley Railway - Fletton Branch

Does the railway have any plans to use this for passenger traffic, or is it just for use as a mainline connection? Is the branch currently up to passenger carrying standards - say for example so that it could be used for a visiting charter train?

Thanks

2. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    According to the website you linked, they have leased this branch and used it as a mainline connection since 1977. The website also says that this is to all intents and purposes a formality.

Whether it would mean in the future the chance of a halt being built by the ECML on the branch and the NVR being able to operate passenger trains along the branch remains to be seen, though it is quite a nice idea - for galas etc., it would put the NVR into a very exclusive league - the GCR being the only line I can think of with a branch.

I quite like the idea of catching a train to the ECML to see an A4 go through...

3. B17 61606

B17 61606 Member

At least one railtour has operated over the Fletton branch in the recent past - there was a cl.66-hauled "Orton Towers" railtour in December 2010.

The branch is certainly very useful for incoming transfers, such as locos for the diesel galas, and 71000 and 4936 which visited during 2011. Whether or not there would be any intention to use the Fletton branch for gala shuttles etc, I do not know. But it's certainly something I'd like to see if at all possible, although to the best of my knowledge it has a permanent 10mph restriction (could be wrong on this).

4. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Would the Churnet Valley start to come into that league?

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Bodmin & Wadebridge is effedtively two separate branches and they aren't short spurs, either. Arguably, so is the NYMR when operating to Battersby.

6. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Middleton,Bluebell(Ardingley spur).

7. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

who maintains it? NVR's pway gang or Network rail?

8. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    The Ffestiniog have a branch that runs to Caernarfon...

9. Bricky89

Bricky89 Member

Purchase Ledger Accounts Clerk
    As my understanding has it the NVR Pway gang maintain the branch. This is why a class 14 with engineers train can occasionally be seen down the branch!

A 10mph speed is imposed on the whole line. I do know the reason but can't remember it at present!

In my time as Signalman up at Orton the branch is most commonly used to either engineers trains (which NVR have NR's permission to run) loco moves (under that particular operaters licence) and the occasional passenger traffic (again under that operaters licence)

The most interesting thing i've seen come off the branch is the GW&SR Royal Scotsman set, 11 coaches and a loco at each end. Past two years running in July this has run. Arrival at Orton Mere around 3am and departing again shortly after 10am.

Paul
    NVR Signalman

10. Bar Side

Bar Side New Member

The link via the Fletton branch must be a great link to network rail, but I can only guess that the ECML greatly reduces the amount that anything beyond the end of the branch can run. Have there ever been any plans to re-link to the Ely line beyond the NVR Peterborough station? Would be fantastic to see trains 'escaping' down to Whittlesea and beyond.

11. I've been a passenger on the Fletton branch, behind 55002 no less than 31 years ago. Christ I feel old! Six Bells Junction