If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Museums to stay free?

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Mr Davo, May 18, 2010.

1. Mr Davo

Mr Davo New Member

I don't want this to become a political bunfight, and would ask the moderators to lock or disappear this thread if it does BUT....

As I recall, under the last Conservative administration, museums were told they had to pay their way, including charging whatever it took to do this for admission. In the current financial climate, do you think a return to this mindset likely? I'd still pay good money to get in the NRM, as it is I chuck something in the donations boxes. However if the NRM had to pay its way without Government money (or with substantialy less) going into the NMSI coffers, it would either be stupidly expensive to get in / hire a loco, or spending would have to be cut big time.

Anthony, if you fear I'm giving them bad ideas just get this thread deleted, or are you already expecting the worst?

2. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A very touchy subject, imo.

there are very strong ideas on both sides of this one.

and I an NOT going to stick my neck out by giving out my opinion!

3. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    They should stay "Free Admission"
    I'm a Yorkshireman, I and everybody else has to pay to get into York Minster. Disgraceful.
    Just my opinion.

4. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

From the document published bythe coalition today:

• [*]We will maintain free entry to national museums and galleries, and give national museums greater freedoms.
    BTW I agree with you Victor that one should not have to pay to enter churches but that has IIRC nothing to do with the Government.

5. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Interesting discussion, because in this part of the UK we have to pay to visit our National Railway Museum.... :(

Keith