If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MR/LMS Crimson Lake - information required.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by houghtonga, Dec 21, 2009.

1. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Could anybody advise on a paint spec (RAL / BS number or similar) for MR/LMS Crimson Lake that has already been used on a preserved locomotive (not a model), please?

We need to order some paint for the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway's Kerr Sturt 0-6-2T "Joan", currently under overhaul at Llanfair.

Our records show that "Midland Maroon" was her livery whilst operating in Antigua between 1927 and 1951. Between 1977 and 1989 "Joan" carried Crimson Lake paint supplied by the Midland Railway Centre (possibly a special mix for the Johnson Spinner 673).

Kind regards,
    Gareth Houghton

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Ask Williamson's of Ripon, they will tell you and sell you the paint. Friendly and good service too.

3. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    You could try asking Bob Meanley at Tyseley, he has experience in trying to obtain just the right colour for 6229.

4. Crewe Hall

Crewe Hall New Member

It is quite well known that Tyseley had the paint matched to a sample of original LMS pigment which Bob Timmins got from Wolverton many years ago. Timmins is on record as having said that the colour produced by J&L paints at Weston super Mare was the most accurate rendition of Crimson Lake he had seen for a very long time, and that is the voice of experience speaking.

5. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    There are records that have been published in a number of Bob Essery's/David Jenkinson's books about how the MR/LMS did it but I don't remember ever seeing that a number had been allocated in the BS381 series.

A word of caution though about how overseas railways 'saw' Midland Lake. The railways in New Zealand painted their passenger vehicles in what the railway called 'Midland Red', but when I was there in 1980/81 these coaches seemed to me to be in a very reddish version of bauxite, not all like 'crimson lake'.

Are there any paint chips off 'Joan' that were taken before the engine's restoration I wonder.

Regards

6. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Paint matching

Been beaten to this by Mr Coulls - I was going to suggest, nay recommend, TR Williamsons. Very helpful people, quick and friendly service in my experience.

7. Warmley

Warmley New Member

I am part of a group in Warmley, South Glos that want to restore the Midland Railway signal box here. I'm gathering information on what is the right thing to do. One question is regarding colours. I was wondering, is there now a code for the Crimson Lake? and is there a code for the cream/off white used for mass areas?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks
    Steve Reade