If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Model Railway Journal - Wild Swan website??

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by MartinBall, Aug 1, 2011.

1. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

Does anyone have a website for Wild Swan publications? Google shows only book shops, and details on how to order MRJ only give a postal address (not convenient for overseas folk).

2. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Wild Swan, for reasons known only to themselves, have NO website whatsoever, and not even an internet address to e-mail them at!

3. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    I think that is really weird... Someone should try to get hold of them and find out why

4. David Bigcheeseplant

David Bigcheeseplant New Member

It's because Wild Swan do not hava a computer everthing is typeset and pasted up like books were done many years ago, hence no email or website.

David

5. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

Way to go to maximize sales and ensure their long term survival.... :(

6. David Bigcheeseplant

David Bigcheeseplant New Member

All the publications can be obtained via book sellers such as Kevin Robertson, Titfield Thunderbolt and Bill Hudson. You don't buy cars direct from the manufactuer but go via a dealer, this is the same. As I understand it WSP is a very small company they have plenty to do doing all the mags books anyway and don't have the time to deal with on line orders.

David

7. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Amazon have 445 items against "Wild Swan Publications", mind you, a lot are now out of print, but at least it may help those overseas that don't have access to UK outlets to see what IS available.

8. JohnR

JohnR New Member

Well, since Wild Swan have been going for the best part of 30 years, I'm sure they will be able to survive! MRJ has a VERY loyal band of followers, many of whom subscribe, which no doubt helps to ensure a future.

I agree its a shame that there isnt a website, which could allow folk to subscribe, or purchase books, but I'm sure theres a good reason not to, from the owners point of view.

9. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

With apologies for the thread hijack, are there any good places to sell old copies of MRJ (or other Wild Swan magazines)? My Dad collected most of the Wild Swan journals from the first editions, so I've got complete to 2009 sets of MRJ and the British Railways and Great Western Journals.

Cheers,
    Simon

10. Titfield Simon

Titfield Simon New Member

David Lane very kindly mentioned my name above, I run the "Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop" and as David says I am one of several booksellers to stock Wild Swan publications.

If you go to my website you can find all available Wild Swan titles listed as I stock every single one of them, including back issues of magazines. Currently the absolutely complete listings are viewable from the "browse bookshelves" or "bookshelf index" sections, the journals are however completely listed from any of their links on my site.

The booksearch will find any Wild Swan title in stock and covers everything.

Amazon is in this case a pretty useless tool as it often implies that Wild Swan books are out of print when they are in fact still available. This can and does lead to people paying over the odds!

Without being a bore and going into too much detail this situation arises because Wild Swan effectively do not make their books available through Amazon.

I should add that I have no connection with Wild Swan beyond being an enthusiastic retailer and reader of their very lovely books and journals.

Apologies for the plug but I felt I could add something useful to the thread.

Best Wishes

Simon

The Titfield Thunderbolt Home Page

11. ifixit4years

ifixit4years New Member

Hi All,
    Just joined this group and come across this thread. Whilst not directly the answer, there are the completely independent websites: Model Railway Journal Index and Great Western Railway Journal Index. These are fully searchable online indexes for MRJ and Great Western Journal respectively and are ideal for finding a particular article.
    Hope this helps.